Idea for monitoring vent pressure -- Transparent P-Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
It seems to me that a transparent P-Trap could be useful to monitor the vent pipe pressure when you suspect some vent problem. With no pressure differential, the liquid level should be equal on both sides of the U.

everbilt-polypropylene-fittings-c9705-4f_145.jpg

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen a transparent p-trap. And while, as a plumber I think it’s pretty nifty and could serve to be useful in quickly and easily spotting/diagnosing drainage and venting issues, as a homeowner I think it’s disgusting. I don’t want to see the soiled water and particles sitting in the trap when I go to pull out my cleaning supplies from under the sink. Yuck!

Reach4

Reaction score

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing HJ As we installed lots of Pyrex waste and Durion system

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If they ever bought it they would certainly remember if the dropped it ...

leelee77

Reaction score
I watched a how-to video on replacing the drain pipe on youtube where the guy used a clear p-trap. I thought it was a pretty cool idea but when I looked up reviews there were a lot of complaints of them cracking.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Why not use ALL transparent pipes then you can trace and see what and where the stoppage is.

We did at NYU for chemicals waste in 1972.

It was awesome actually seeing the waste moving through the lines

The plumbers union gave classes to apprentices on how to make our own beads using a "go / no go ring" as we heated the glass pipe and rolled it and keep checking for proper bead size

We used Pyrex for chemical waste and Duriron for acid waste

https://www.us.schott.com/d/tubing/...e04a888/1.1/170114_final_kimax-catalog_us.pdf

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to be that places that used to sell these clear p-traps have stopped. The reviews seemed to say they were not nearly as durable as the regular plastic slip-joint p-traps. I did think they would be useful as a temporary inexpensive instrument to look for vacuum/pressure in the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks