Icemaker Supply Line Bend Radius

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a recessed icemaker valve box with a 1/4" compression connection that is facing out about 1" behind the plane of the drywall. I'd like to put the refrigerator 2" off the drywall, providing 3" of clearance. If I use a 1/4" braided supply line, given the rigid crimped part of the connector and the diameter of the supply line, I'll need to make a 90 degree bend with a radius of 2-1/2" or 2".

Are those lines that flexible? Is a 1/4" PEX line with the bulb ends more flexible? Or should I be looking for an elbow to use?

Thanks,
Wayne

PS. Seems like a supply line with a right angle end, like some washing machine supply lines have, would be a very nice solution, but they don't seem to exist for 1/4" compression lines. A compression elbow with one side a "female" connection like a supply line would also be nice, but those don't seem to exist either. So I think I'd need a short length of 1/4" OD copper tube and a compression elbow.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your hose will fit onto the threads of a compression fitting and the gasket will seal to the end. https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-1-4-in-Compression-Female-Elbow-Fitting/1000505411
I agree, but the elbow to valve connection will require a short section of 1/4" copper tubing. It would be nice if the elbow were available with a similar captive gasket (female compression) end so that I could avoid that short section of 1/4" copper tubing.

That sort of fitting connection is availlable in a 3/8" compression x 3/8" female compression x 3/8" (or 1/4") compression tee as an "add a supply" tee. But I haven't found it as an elbow.

John Guest makes a 1/4" push-to-connect by 1/4" stem plastic elbow, basically a "street" elbow for their system, as the stem can go directly into a push-to-connect fitting. It's not clear to me if a regular 1/4" compression brass ferrule/nut connection would seal to the 1/4" plastic stem.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never put ice maker valve pointed straight out I put it on approx 45 degree so pipe can lay against wall. Just to be nice

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
To follow up on this, I got a 1/4" OD PEX icemaker line, and it looks like it would be flexible enough to make the bend radius I need. Plus I can try to rotate the icemaker valve, although that may not be possible.

One other thing that occurred to me was whether a piece of 1/4" copper tubing, preformed into a fairly tight 90 degree bend, is commercially available. Then I could just use that with a straight 1/4" compression coupler to get a 90 degree end on any icemaker line.

Cheers, Wayne

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the right tools, soft copper can be bent into essentially a right angle. If you're using something like one of the spring benders, you tend to get a bigger radius, but depending on what you need, one of those with copper might work for you.

I used soft copper for mine. There's probably a 5' diameter loop of the copper behind the frig to act like a big spring so I can pull it out for service without stressing the line. My frig is a counter depth one with trim panels on both sides, so there's no access to the thing from the side at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks