Ice/Water Line Feed From Water Heater Cold Supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dachd

Reaction score
Is this setup (to feed an ice/water dispenser on a fridge):

A. Code-compliant?
B. Advisable?

The water heater was installed new in 2019. I read that modern water heaters have built-in check valves on the supply side, but I did notice that the supply side gets pretty warm at times, up to about the bend in the copper flex...not sure if that's just from the heat being conducted via the metal and water mass...

Thanks for your advice/opinions!

code.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the setup, a little warm water to the refrigerator won't hurt at all. If you're concernEd, move the tee to the other end of the flex pipe at the ball valve.

Change the galvanized coupler with a brass one. The copper flex pipe is looped higher than the connection at the wall, thereby, it is also acting as a heat trap.

Water heater heat traps is nothing more than a ball valve that acts like a check valve. It reduces heat flow but not completely since heat will travel within the metal pipes and fittings.

1658063435907.jpeg

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I wonder if @Sylvan has done expert testimony on the potability of water from a HWT?
Yes I have, when a handyman ran a copper line from the HW supply to an ice maker so the ice cubes would not be cloudy.

The water heater temperature was set for under 130 deg F which allowed bacteria to thrive. The occupants became sick and had the water tested thinking it maybe lead or other heavy metals.

I was lucky to find the connection as I was looking under the kitchen sink and noticed two lines one to the dishwasher and the other to the ice maker.

Suing the handyman was useless as he had no insurance, no license and even his house was in his wife's name.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Is this setup (to feed an ice/water dispenser on a fridge):

A. Code-compliant?
B. Advisable?

The water heater was installed new in 2019. I read that modern water heaters have built-in check valves on the supply side, but I did notice that the supply side gets pretty warm at times, up to about the bend in the copper flex...not sure if that's just from the heat being conducted via the metal and water mass...

Thanks for your advice/opinions!

View attachment 85035
Decent installers use a heat sink rather than depending on a piece of rubber to act as a check valve.

By installing a 27" loop on the CW supply this will prevent stratification of the HW molecules from entering the CW supply

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the setup, a little warm water to the refrigerator won't hurt at all. If you're concernEd, move the tee to the other end of the flex pipe at the ball valve.

Change the galvanized coupler with a brass one. The copper flex pipe is looped higher than the connection at the wall, thereby, it is also acting as a heat trap.

Water heater heat traps is nothing more than a ball valve that acts like a check valve. It reduces heat flow but not completely since heat will travel within the metal pipes and fittings.

View attachment 85046
If the water inside the tank is less then 140 deg F (actually higher is recommended ) then there maybe bacteria breeding inside the tank .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks