Ice water box valve repair or replace

Users who are viewing this thread

Oldsyd

Reaction score
It's new construction so I can only see the PEX going up through the OSB subfloor. I don't have PEX tools or access behind the wall so I was hoping to fix it from the top side. What's common for PEX? Maybe solder a short copper tail into it and then crimp it on?

Are you thinking I need a FIP inlet instead of a MIP? I need to shut of the whole house water and take it off. Just from looking, I was thinking the MIP was one piece with the valve.

Oldsyd

Reaction score
I removed the valve from the hidden stem. It does have pipe dope on the threads. I called Oatey and they said they don't sell replacement valves. I never thought finding this item would be so difficult. I hope the info here saves someone some time in the future.

oatey-ice-maker-valve-a1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you measure that thread with digital calipers? Can you measure the threads per inch (TPI)? If that matches a common thread, that will be cool.

Maybe take that valve to a plumbing store to see if you can ID the thread there.

Regarding them not selling parts, can you buy a new box, and expect the valve to work?

Oldsyd

Reaction score
Right now while I'm waiting on icemaker parts I have another angle valve put on the other end of the braided stainless tubing. It has a 1/2" FIP inlet and that brass valve fits perfectly into the female threads. I contacted several valve manufacturers today and so far none of them make a valve like this. Oatey confirmed that they no longer have this style or valve available however they told me that Watts made the valve so I'm waiting on them to reply now. It's looking like I either go to Ebay or maybe try to rebuild the valve? Yes, I'm stubborn :confused:

Oldsyd

Reaction score
PS - All the new boxes have 1 piece valve & stem. Would require cutting into subfloor and drywall to replace. Also guessing I'll need PEX tools.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is 1/2 NTP, then a 1/2 inch brass nipple would let you mount a valve with a 1/2 inch FIP thread. The shortest nipples are called close nipples.

Oldsyd

Reaction score
I contacted 7 valve suppliers/manufacturers where I could find similar valves. Only 1 made a replacement that fit perfectly without adapters. They weren't available locally so I had to order from a supply house and pay for shipping. Total cost was $36 but I also didn't have to cut open the wall or acquire PEX tools and it's all one piece, so I'm happy. Hopefully this won't fail in 10 years like the last one :D The part number for the 1/2 Fem. Solder or 1/2 MIP X 1/4 OD Comp. valve is 621-01-30 for those who are interested. Hopefully this saves someone some time in the future.

valve1.jpg
valve2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks