Ice maker sounds like a ratchet

Users who are viewing this thread

metropxp

Reaction score
More often than not when my ice maker starts filling it makes an awful ratchet-sounding noise. It sounds like it is coming from the valve. Could it be too much pressure or could it somehow have frozen?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
More often than not when my ice maker starts filling it makes an awful ratchet-sounding noise. It sounds like it is coming from the valve. Could it be too much pressure or could it somehow have frozen?
You said the noise happens when it fills, but does it really happen while trying to eject cubes from the freeze tray?
Icemakers are great, but they are a particularly troublesome item, often. To me the way you describe the noise, it sounds like it MAY be the ice trying to eject, but the clutch mechanism that drives the ejector is making the noise. I have seen on Whirlpool fridges the nylon gear that turns the ejector cracks at the hub and cannot develop torque to eject ice. It just makes a skritch, skritch, skritch sound. If it is a Whirpool or one of the other names built by them, you may be able to remove the plastic cover in the front of the icemaker, and see what I'm talking about. I have no experience on other brands, and my current fridge is an LG, which like all (well most) others, the cubes in the ice bucket fuse together if ice is not drawn out often enough especially in this warm, humid weather in most of the country. Very hard to really know without actually looking at it at least..

metropxp

Reaction score
You said the noise happens when it fills, but does it really happen while trying to eject cubes from the freeze tray?
Icemakers are great, but they are a particularly troublesome item, often. To me the way you describe the noise, it sounds like it MAY be the ice trying to eject, but the clutch mechanism that drives the ejector is making the noise. I have seen on Whirlpool fridges the nylon gear that turns the ejector cracks at the hub and cannot develop torque to eject ice. It just makes a skritch, skritch, skritch sound. If it is a Whirpool or one of the other names built by them, you may be able to remove the plastic cover in the front of the icemaker, and see what I'm talking about. I have no experience on other brands, and my current fridge is an LG, which like all (well most) others, the cubes in the ice bucket fuse together if ice is not drawn out often enough especially in this warm, humid weather in most of the country. Very hard to really know without actually looking at it at least..

It's definitely happening when filling. I can hear the ice drop without incident and, as luck would have it, I happened to be looking in the freezer for something the other day when the ice dropped. Nice and quiet, so I waited for the fill. I could see the water going into the ice maker and also hear the awful noise. I know I've described it as a ratcheting sound, but it is more jackhammer-like. It is a Kenmore that is made by LG and, yes, we at times have the same issue of the ice fusing together. :)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my LG is "Kenmore Elite" badged. I hope I do not have to look forward to your problem, but I have a contract with Sears they gave me for free when the replaced my 2009 purchased kenmore Elite (Whirlpool built) which turned out to be a lemon. Sears has a website called manage my home, or something like that. maybe you can post your question there

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What make and model are we talking about.

Sometimes you have to put Vaseline or KY Jelly on the Ice maker Drive gears.

Teflon based Lube works the best in low temperature.

Be careful what you get the KY on, or you could blow a gasket...

Enjoy.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It is 1-800-4MY HOME.

No, that is their phone number to call for service. When I got home I looked it up. The website is http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/questions . It is run by Sears. You can post a question/problem there and you will receive a reply from a Sears person as to what may be the cause. They will also offer their repair service, but they will tell you what they think is wrong.

metropxp

Reaction score
As I posted above, it doesn't seem to be anything with the ice maker gears or the ice dropping. The sound is coming from the valve. Not being a plumber, I'm assuming the ice drops, then something in the ice maker tells the valve to open refilling the ice maker. It is during this refilling process that it makes this god-awful jackhammer-like noise. I didn't know if the valve itself keeps opening and closing, if the line might have some buildup and that is contributing. We do have a water softener and the valve was recently replaced (about four months ago), but Sears only warranties the repair for 90 days. :(

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Water valves for icemakers are notorious for failing. They can "stutter" like yours sounds like it is doing, among other failures.

There are 2 appliance repair forums that I have found useful:

applianceguru dot com

applianceblog dot com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks