Ice Maker Box Soldering

Users who are viewing this thread

Brady

Reaction score
I am looking to install an ice maker box for my fridge. The last owners just ran a poly tube up through the floor and I would like to do it correctly. I was looking at the Oatey I2K boxes and was debating between the solder or the pex connections. I have soldered before and feel comfortable doing it but had a question about doing it properly. On the bottom of the valve there is a threaded fitting. Obviously you solder a female threaded fitting to a 1/2" copper pipe. But are you soldering the female fitting to the valve as well (after screwing it on)? Or do you just tape the threads and connect it? I ask because people talk about melting the box while soldering. If you are not soldering the threads I guess I don't understand why you would solder with the box attached. I would prefer the pex but the solder box is cheaper and I have access to tools to solder. Thanks for the knowledge.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The threads are cut straight, and not tapered. A female fitting doesn't work on that. You can solder either copper pipe to that, or solder a PEX fitting to it.
With any care you should be able to solder it and not harm the box. I do it all the time.

icemaker-box-install-3.jpg

Brady

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! The pictures really look like normal tapered threaded connections. Online even says to get a threaded female connection for the bottom. If the threads are cut straight why even have threads? Why not a smooth connection like most copper pipe fittings?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The valve has threads because of the plastic nut that secures the valve to the box.
Just like a lav faucet has straight threads for the nuts that secure them to a countertop or lav.
With plumbing, you need to look at the type threads to determine the correct fittings in each case.

A faucet may have straight cut threads for the securing nut. Then you supply the water with a ball end lav supply, or a flex connector with rubber seal.

A shutoff may have compression threads, using a sleeve and nut that compresses around the pipe, or again the flex with rubber seal.

Then you have tapered pipe threads that fitting into a tapered fitting. You can rub a bar of soap on the threads and snug those up, or use tape or pipe dope (thread sealant)
The bar of soap was used in the 30's.

icemaker_box.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks