Ice Machine Drain (Small Commercial Hoshizaki)

Users who are viewing this thread

talsma

Reaction score
Hey guys, I purchased a small commercial ice machine (Hoshizaki KM-161BAJ) for my home (in FL). It holds 80 lbs of ice in the bin and makes up to 160lbs a day. This will be a nice addition as there is never any ice in our french-door refrigerator.

Melt ice will constantly drip from machine, but it also dumps a small water tank every 10 batches to get rid of any built up minerals... I think there is also a wash mode that will need a place for the water to drain. Ice machine is fed with 3/8" OD PE pipe, so I don't think the flow will ever be crazy...

I am planning on putting the ice machine in our laundry room on a wall where there is already a drain and vent for a laundry sink (washing machine does not use laundry sink). I was thinking I could simply cut into the existing 2" stack and add a reducing 1.5" santee, directly to a 1.5" p-trap and then add a short couple inches of 1.5" pipe to complete a small 'stand-pipe' for the ice machine. Stand-pipe would exit into a small outlet box, so everything would be in the wall and have a nice clean look. I am reducing to 1.5" as that is all that will fit in that stud space (and I think just barely), also I think 1.5" should handle the ice machine flow just fine (hopefully).

I am also planning on chipping out some of the slab (there is no 2x4 plate here currently) to allow me to get that p-trap as low as possible. The gravity drain on the ice machine is at 7.75 - 8.75" depending on leg adjustment, so the end of the drain for the ice machine has to be a bit below that (also remembering I need a small air gap).

Also: I think I will pout concrete or maybe just great stuff foam over the p-trap to make sure I don't get any condensation building up on the trap (from the cold ice melt water constantly being in there).

Anyone see any issues with this setup?

Alternatively, I thought about just buying a good condensate pump and dumping it in the laundry sink... I'm just nervous that the pump will fail at an inopportune time.... Thinking something like this.. Rate at 270GPH so that seems like it would be more than enough to keep up with the flow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PH2IO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a pic I took a while back before the sheetrock was installed in my home. This is the currently plumbing setup.
IMG_1795.JPG

Here is a plan I drew up of the drain I intend to add for the ice machine.
plumbing plan.jpg

Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The ice machine drain needs to have an Air Gap between the 3/4" bin drain and your indirect drain. I would put a Bell end on top of that stand pipe or you're going to get splash out of it trying to drain a 3/4" pipe over a 1.5" target. And since that bell won't fit in the wall, I would swing the trap out at to accommodate that.

talsma

Reaction score
Any issue with the standpipe being a wet vent because the laundry sink above it? Should the laundry sink be brought down to the same level with a sanitary cross?

How about stanpipe height? Any requirements on that? This will be SHORT! Like 4-6"

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The wet vent is a problem and you certainly don't want an air gap in a concealed location.

talsma

Reaction score
The wet vent is a problem and you certainly don't want an air gap in a concealed location.

Wasn't going to be concealed as I was going to use a washer outlet box. And maybe something like this for the airgap.
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...wgU12dNfwK_lv9OyKHcZaft_XZ2L5ZOxoCOugQAvD_BwE

Still worried about a short stand-pipe.. I did some extensive googling and couldn't find anything like this out there... Is that asking for problems? Minimum height for stand pipe required?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks