I would like to draw water from a lake for a aquaculture project

Users who are viewing this thread

Jgrucci

Reaction score
The run is about 500’, and elevation 50’. I would like a min of 10gpm. What kind of pump could be best for this, and would a deep well pump work? Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you can put a submersible in the lake a 10 GPM, 1/2HP will do the job. If you cannot put a pump in the well, a jet pump will work, but it needs to be less than 25 feet in elevation from the lake level.

Jgrucci

Reaction score
If you can put a submersible in the lake a 10 GPM, 1/2HP will do the job. If you cannot put a pump in the well, a jet pump will work, but it needs to be less than 25 feet in elevation from the lake level.

Thank you for your reply. This might be a dumb question, but can I use a deep well pump by just putting it in the lake, or does it need to be in a pipe to operate? Also it would be continuous use

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are lots of ways to install a submersible in a lake. The pump can be floated just underneath the water. It can be set on a stand just off the bottom. Or it can be slid into a 4"-5" PVC pipe the same as if being used for well casing, it will just be mostly horizontal instead of vertical.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here are pics of a few larger submersibles I have installed in lakes or ponds. There are a couple with subs on floats, another I made a little trailer that rolls down the bank into the water. Then the last one has several subs mounted upside down on a large metal float. When the air is let out of the metal float, the pumps sink to the bottom and stand out in a horizontal position.
Colfax  IA.jpg

Four Lakes OK d 2002.jpg

Subs on trailer with station.jpg

Cliffs barge photo.jpg

Jgrucci

Reaction score
There are lots of ways to install a submersible in a lake. The pump can be floated just underneath the water. It can be set on a stand just off the bottom. Or it can be slid into a 4"-5" PVC pipe the same as if being used for well casing, it will just be mostly horizontal instead of vertical.

Thanks again for reply. Does the pump have to be in a casing to work, or can I suspend just the pump off the bottom? And are deep well pumps able to operate under continuous use?
Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes deep well pumps are what you need. Even though it is surface water, the 50 PSI needed in the house is the same as 115' of lift. So a deep well pump doesn't know it is in a shallow lake, it thinks it is lifting 115' like it would in a 115' deep well. But yes the submersible needs to be in a flow inducer sleeve or shroud. This forces the water to go past the motor before going into the pump, keeping the motor cool. Without a cooing shroud, a submersible motor can overheat even when surrounded by millions of gallons of cool lake water.
shroud 3 pics.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here is one more way people can put a submersible in a lake. This one need s flow inducer sleeve or shroud, but the way the pump is installed keeps it off the bottom of the lake or cistern.
Horizontal Bracket for Sub.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider a cage/screen around the end to keep out fish and plants. You might make that from hardware cloth.

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
The one thing with submersible well pumps in a lake is there is a serious Electrical Shock or Death for an unfortunate swimmer or fisherman
There MUST be a GFCI breaker or min a GFCI outlet powering the pump It has happened due to wires chafing or deteriorating etc....

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have been putting submersibles in lakes, ponds, rivers, tanks for 40 years. Never had a problem with electrical danger. I have installed pumps up to 75HP and 480V in lakes. Once even hit the wire with the boat propeller. Just tripped the breaker and left a spark mark on the propeller.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, and here in Washington we had a fatal electrocution from a centrifugal irrigation pump setting on the bank of a river last summer. Lack of an equipment grounding conductor killed a teenager. He was wet from climbing out of the river. Touched the pump case. Became the grounding conductor and died.

There’s a whole section of the NEC that deals with Marinas for good reason.

That being said, I’ve put plenty of submersible pumps into lakes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks