I was told I probably got the wrong water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
A local plumber that I called told me without even knowing what softener I got that I got the wrong one. I accounted for how many bathrooms and people in the household and how hard the water is. The one I got even let's you input the water hardness so it can program how often to regenerate. He told me I might still be able to return the softener. Was he selling me on something or should I had done more research on testing my water before buying a softener and then letting a well expert pick the appropriate softener?

Reach4

Reaction score
Was he selling me on something
Probably, tho most of us tend to not like cabinet-type softeners. They tend to not get repaired, but replaced. Yet they have their advantage, especially if you are space-limited.

You should get a Hach 5-B hardness test to test the hardness before and after the softener.

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
Probably, tho most of us tend to not like cabinet-type softeners. They tend to not get repaired, but replaced. Yet they have their advantage, especially if you are space-limited.

You should get a Hach 5-B hardness test to test the hardness before and after the softener.
Thank you. I am a bit limited with space so maybe this one works best for me.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The plumber is offering advice based on various factors that all must be factored into the selection of a softener. You are asking for advice without offering any info.
  • What is the untreated water hardness amount?
  • City supply or private well?
  • How many residents?
  • How many bathrooms?
  • The number of high flow fixtures such as rainfall or multi-head showers?
  • Size of the main plumbing lines where the softener would be located?
  • What softener did you already buy? (photo)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A local plumber that I called told me without even knowing what softener I got that I got the wrong one.
How could he without knowing what you bought say such a thing? He is either arrogant/rude thinking that he knows better than you, greedy for wanting to profit from the sale, or both.

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
The plumber is offering advice based on various factors that all must be factored into the selection of a softener. You are asking for advice without offering any info.
  • What is the untreated water hardness amount?
  • City supply or private well?
  • How many residents?
  • How many bathrooms?
  • The number of high flow fixtures such as rainfall or multi-head showers?
  • Size of the main plumbing lines where the softener would be located?
  • What softener did you already buy? (photo)
When I called I wasn't even asking him for advice on the softener. It just happened to come up in our conversation. I wanted to do all the plumbing for the softener until I realized I needed a professional to help me vent the drain line I needed to add so that was all I was asking for help. He sounded so sure about the softener being wrong that I was feeling upset that I bought the softener.

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
How could he without knowing what you bought say such a thing? He is either arrogant/rude thinking that he knows better than you, greedy for wanting to profit from the sale, or both.
Weird thing is he sounded like a nice guy but I'm pretty easy going and was just listening mostly. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but now that I'm thinking about it he probably was trying to sell me since he kept mentioning I could still probably return the softener.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Simply put, if you got it at a big box store, it is probably a disposable unit built by the lowest bidder... keep it, run it for a few years, as soon as it fails, put it in a landfill. If you read through the history of posts on this site, you will find that many of the Fleck and Clack based units are 20+ years old and our advice is often to "replace the resin, you will get another 10-20 years out of it". With the big box store stuff, after the warranty, landfill it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Simply put, if you got it at a big box store, it is probably a disposable unit built by the lowest bidder... keep it, run it for a few years, as soon as it fails, put it in a landfill.
That model works for TVs today. It does not work for cars.

Softeners would be somewhere in between, but closer to cars, I would think.

I remember when people would sew a button back on a shirt, rather than replace the shirt. Once upon a time, I am told people would darn a sock, and I have seen a darning egg. I never saw anyone darn a sock.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
That model works for TVs today. It does not work for cars.

Softeners would be somewhere in between, but closer to cars, I would think.

I remember when people would sew a button back on a shirt, rather than replace the shirt. Once upon a time, I am told people would darn a sock, and I have seen a darning egg. I never saw anyone darn a sock.
I am a wee bit to busy to "Darn a Sock"... if your sock is this worn through, it is time for a new one. This sock looks like my dads t-shirts, you know the ones that he has worn for 18 years and you can see his chest hair through...
darn.jpg

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
Simply put, if you got it at a big box store, it is probably a disposable unit built by the lowest bidder... keep it, run it for a few years, as soon as it fails, put it in a landfill. If you read through the history of posts on this site, you will find that many of the Fleck and Clack based units are 20+ years old and our advice is often to "replace the resin, you will get another 10-20 years out of it". With the big box store stuff, after the warranty, landfill it.
Thank you for confirming the guy was correct. So how do I buy a Fleck? Do I go through a distributor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks