I wanted to introduce myself

Users who are viewing this thread

popawheelie

Reaction score
I'm a home owner who has a background in construction/remodeling. Right now I'm fixing up our ( a family of four) house. The former owner installed some plumbing that is questionable and I'm going to go through it and bring it up to a higher standard. The 60 gallon water heater is over 10 years old and we have a second kitchen and two bathrooms across the house.
I'd like to put in a hot water circulating loop with a new water heater.
That's the big plumbing project I have coming up.
Here's a pic of the plumbing on top of the water heater. This is in plain sight so I think there might be more hidden in the house.

Attachments

• th_qq0542[1].jpg
    th_qq0542[1].jpg
    4 KB · Views: 271

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The vent elbow directly off the top of the WH is not good. It should rise some before turning horizontal. A new water heater might be sensitive to that issue. Read the installation instruction for the new one carefully.

In California, the water connections have to be made with flex connectors, but in your area, that may not be required or even allowed!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like old brass. bad bad. I would be very careful with messing around with that old stuff. That saddle valve should go also. Replace the water heater (I'm sure you knew that) and start thinking of upgrading your old brass water lines before they start leaking. Pex is a nice choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks