I Really dorked up Moentrol cartridge replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny Rocksit

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a f irst-time poster, long time idiot.

I have a pair of Moen 3570 Moentrol valves in a dual-head shower in a bathroom that I demo'd to the studs about 8 or 9 years ago.

(Yes, it's been almost a decade since the house has had a functioning master bath, but I digress.)

Neither valve is functional. When I backed off the shutoffs on the first valve and pulled the pin to open the valve, nothing happened. When I tried to crank the shutoff back to closed, bits of o-ring came out past the screw. That was when I knew all of the components were toast.

(Amateur-Tip: If you are "plumbing" on a Friday night and your Moentrol shut off is spewing water all over not-yet dry tile grout, turn off water to the house. At this point, your wife may threaten to spend the weekend at an expensive hotel, call the on-call weekend plumber at $225/hr, or both. Do not panic: Get an 11/16 socket and remove the leaking shutoff, being careful not to drop the bits in the wall. Wrap the old o-ring, or spot where the o-ring was, with Teflon tape. I also put a wrap around the rubber stopper for good measure. with one hand under the valve to catch the bits that you will drop the first couple of times you try this, hold the tension on the spring with your finger while jamming the little bastard back into the valve body with your thumb. When it miraculously all lines up, tighten the shutoff with the 11/16 socket, then crank the screw clockwise. Turn the water on and hold your breath. If you are lucky, it holds and you just saved at least $600.)

I purchased replacement cartridges, balancers (those were totally stuck, one came out in pieces), shutoff valves. and the T handle cartridge puller. I replaced the balancers and the shutoffs. I was feeling good. Cocky, even.

Then I tried to install the first cartridge.

What I didn't do: I did not clean out the valve body. I forgot to grease the damn thing, and the water was shut off only at the valve.

What I did do: The cartridge did not go in all the way, so I tapped with it a hammer to try to seat it. This is one of those things where I knew it was a bad idea as I was doing it and I did it, anyway. When I tried to pull it out, I found it is now stuck in some unnatural way, to the point where, pulling with all my might, with a foot against the wall, I cannot get it out.

I can push it back in about 1 1/2", then yank it and it hits whatever is preventing it from sliding out.

At this point, the new cartridge is getting mangled and I don't care. I need it out.

Any suggestions?

moentrol-exploded.jpg

moentrol-3520.jpg

moentrol-spool.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How is that working out? There is a puller that the hardware stores carry, though I'm not sure how that one works if the cartridge is out too far.

moen-cartridge-puller-1.jpg

And this one too.

moen_puller_2.jpg

Johnny Rocksit

Reaction score
It's not working out.

I have a real plumber coming the 28th. I've ordered a new valve just in case this one is totally bust.

This is beyond "hard to remove". It feels like the end of cartridge expanded and is bigger than the housing. It moves back about an 1" to 1 1/2", but when I try to pull it back out it hits a hard stop. Looking at the valve, the cartridge, and the diagram, I have no idea what is catching, but no amount of force, even with the puller tool, is making a difference.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks