I need to move the plumbing for a shower base over 1" what degree bend should I use above the p-trap with only 14" from trap to drain on base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Smokedvw

Reaction score
Hi,

We are doing a shower reno, the existing cut hole for the shower, 1.5" pipe and p trap all exist. The top of the current pipe would place the drain at 16" and we need it at 15". We also need to go from 1.5" currently to 2" for the drain.

1. I wanted to know what degree bend we should use for getting it from 16.25 to 15"?
2. There is a copper pipe just above the current p trap which makes it so we have to go up 4" before we can start out turn. Giving us 10" of clearance from the area we can first turn to the base. Should I start the turn as low down as possible or it doesnt matter if I do the turn just below the drain unit?

It would be easiest to do around 6" up from the P trap which would give 8" between there and the drain including any bend to bring it from 16.25 to 15".

pipe with copper.png

3. My thought was to switch it to 2" after the P trap, then use a 2" 22.5 degree bend, bring it over the 1" to a 15" center and then back up with another 22.5 and do this just above the copper pipe which is 10" from the base's surface. Or should I just do it all in 1.5" and then have the final connection for the drain switch from 1.5" to 2" ABS?

1656015000284.png

Thank you for the help with this reno! :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/16 bend and spigot 1/16th or 2 regular 1/16th bends check it out at supplier.
move the copper it might just pull over if trap arm is long

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or you can just remove the old p-trap and install a new one in the correct location. :)
If trap is moved, so is copper.
A 2x1.5 coupling below the drain to act as a funnel is what I do when there is a 1.5" trap and arm.

Smokedvw

Reaction score
@Terry problem is the copper pipe we really cant cut or move it would be a big pain and it is directly where the new P trap would need to come up, ill see about keeping it all 1.5 and I do have the 2 to 1.5 coupling already.

I'll go play at a supplier and see what we can build... ill take some cut up pipe to play with the connectors.

So it doesnt really matter if I make the bed near top (by drain), or bottom (near copper and p-trap)

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I usually try to have some vertical before the offset to help with velocity. So 2" pipe (longest possible) 2x1.5 bell reducer, 22.5 degree offset, then ptrap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks