I need to move a toilet...

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Daisy Z, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Daisy Z

Daisy Z New Member

How difficult would it be and how much would it cost to move the toilet in my half bathroom. I want a professional to install a smaller toilet but move it to the middle of the room. So like half a foot.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Don't you have a lav in your way if you center it?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Daisy Z

Daisy Z New Member

I don't know what that is lol

You mean A stack? That's why I am wondering how difficult would it be to move just 6"

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Lav is short for lavatory, which means bathroom sink.

You don't mention construction. A toilet over an unfinished basement is easier to work on than a second floor toilet, for example.

6. Daisy Z

Daisy Z New Member

I believe that portion of the basement is unfinished. Its where the laundry room is. Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    So, a basement typically has a cement slab. To move the toilet, you'd have to have someone break up the cement to access the pipes to move the toilet then repair the slab.

FWIW, if you're going to move it, it will have to then meet the current plumbing codes. This means you must adhere to the required clearances. Code calls for a space at least 15" clear each side of the centerline of the toilet. Upstate NY probably does not have a post-tensioned slab, but if it does, that complicates things, sometimes a lot. That type of construction in a home is more common in earthquake country.

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Good. From the basement, take and post a photo of the pipes under the toilet. Identify which way you want to move the toilet.