I need to buy a toilet today and am confused

Users who are viewing this thread

LouL

Reaction score
I heard recommendations for American standard Champion 1.6 gal. So I looked it up and there were a fair number of people complaining about leaks and it not flushing well unless you happened to have something like 5 golf balls in the bowl. Also, they said the replacements parts were never available in stores, always had to be ordered.

The other recommendations I got were for the Toto Drake. Complaints I read about that were mainly that it wasn't packed well and arrived broken. There were also a few complaints that the bowl was made with a ridge type line around the bowl that made it difficult to clean. The recommendations also didn't specify which Toto Drake or what gallon size. I've seen recommendations here for the Toto II, but I don't know which one that is.

Here's my situation and requirements:
I live in a small town. Nearest bigger towns are about 20-25 miles away and one of those has a hardware store, Home Depot, and Lowes.
Building a barndominium on a budget. Nothing high end, the emphasis is on energy efficient, comfort, and low cost diy maintenance. We don't want to spend our retirement years replacing something because the parts can't be found to fix it.
We are on septic, co-op water which is sporatically low pressure.

We want ADA height toilets
1.6 gal tank
strong flush, hard to clog
elongated seat

Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward Toto, but don't know which one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Shopping those two stores. Something like an A/S Cadet, Kohler Highline Well worth, Cimarron. With more stores, TOTO Drake II. 1.28 is fine for any of these. If you want to occasionally use more water, hold the handle down a moment.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lowes and HD both carry Toto, at least according to their websites.

Definitely go with the Toto Drake.

LouL

Reaction score
Which Toto Drake, Steve? I or II?

Thank you for the recommendations Terry. I haven't looked at the Cadet yet, but I will.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the II as it has the Double Cyclone bowl wash.
I don't have any Drakes but do have 3 Totos all of which have the Double Cyclone system-- very nice.

LouL

Reaction score
If you don't have the Drake II, which ones do you have? And are they 1.28 or 1.6?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Lowes and HD both carry Toto, at least according to their websites.

Definitely go with the Toto Drake.

Not when you go to their stores. She mentioned she wanted one today. They will bring them in, which can take some time. Because they ship them in, they sometimes come broken. It they have plenty of time they can do that. Just make sure they inspect before they bring them home.

LouL

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. I knew I'd have to order one and needed to get it done yesterday in order to have it installed by the end of the month. I ended up going with Toto.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I start eating golf balls, maybe I'll take a look at the American Standard. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward Toto.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The settings can be changed to make the 1.28's into 1.6's
The tower has an adjustment for that, and the flappers can be adjusted on some.
Did not know that.

Not sure what tower you are referring to? I just have the conventional fill and flush valves in my 3 Totos. (Which incidentally sounds like a heck of a sitcom -- "My 3 Totos" staring Fred McMurray.)

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did not know that.

Not sure what tower you are referring to? I just have the conventional fill and flush valves in my 3 Totos. (Which incidentally sounds like a heck of a sitcom -- "My 3 Totos" staring Fred McMurray.)
Just gave away you're a senior citizen. Haven't thought about that show in decades.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks