I need some experience plumbers eyes - Will this work

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I wanted to get a clean look of having no pipework show on the baseboard.
Not being piped from the sides or bottom, etc.

It's a runtal baseboard that hangs on cleats - flush to the wall.
3" Closed Loop Running Above the ceiling.
Coming Down is 3/4" Black Pipe.
From there, I have Pex Stubbed out hanging 7 inches out of the wall capped.

Now in sitting here thinking how this thing will get both connected and hung, I think this is the best route.
Advise me otherwise if you have a better idea.

Connect Pex Adapter/Fittings to Pex. Shove inside wall with just the fitting I need to wrench on *Red Brass 1/2 - 3/4 Adapter*.
Pex can rotate if I recall. (new to pex so I may need to make a test connection and confirm again)
Have 2 helpers hold the 6 ft baseboard up.
Connect the 2 ends and wrench tight. Should be good to just tilt , cleat in and hang.

Pic here.

1/2 Close Nipple to go into baseboard - 1/2 - 3/4 Adapter, 3/4 Make - Pex
pex.jpg

Doing it the other way - Having 2 helper hold the baseboard and then trying to expand the short pex out the wall and then getting it on might just be the harder way. There's only so much *SLOP* you can move the pex in this fashion

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Is there a reason why you cannot hang the baseboard then connect the piping? Without seeing more of the actual installation, I cannot tell if EITHER method is the best one, although from the sound of it, neither would be my choice. But, if I understand correctly, I would "wrench tight" the piping BEFORE attaching the PEX, not afterwards and spin the fitting in the PEX. Do you know how hard it can be to try to line up a "connected fitting" and screw it into something?

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
The baseboard is facing exterior portion of the house.
Hanging it and then reconnecting would require cutting sheetrock just to get access, then patching and then mudding.
Then these 2 patches would be be *crowned* patches to feather and blend into the wall.

I'm not familiar with Pex.....but on the test fitting I did with the tooling, IF i remember correctly, the pex did swing freely once the ring was on.
So in theory, screwing in the fitting would not be too hard - as the pex was *freely spinning* even though it was connected to the pex male fitting.

The ONLY reason I vaugly remember this fitting detail was because when I did a test compression, I recall it spinning and said to myself, that's odd...plumbers say nono to sharkbites cause it spins freely and the Pex does just the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks