I need help with my still project

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Howdy Yawl,
I had ar buddy Southern Man help me out wit bildin a new still cuz az u no hez an en-gin-ear. My ol one maid sum o the best corn licker that ever come outa Caldwell County, North Carolina but itz capacity wuz just to darn low. I had two many customers wit emty bottlz an not enouh corn licker to fill all the jugz.

Anywaz I invezded my hole life savinz in this new still and the corn squeezins ta get thiz inta full producin. Southern Man said, Thiz new still would kick out more licker than ol #7 up at Jack Daniels plase. Anywaiz I can't git Southern Man to help me cuz hez busy diggin a new pit fer hiz out house after I stopped by an plugged up hiz toilet yezturday. The problem Im havin iz the new still ain't putin out good licker. The firzd batch come out and my third best dawg took a swalla an went blind. My firzd an secund best dawgs was killed the other day whin the stoop Southern Man helpt me bild collapsed on them. thaz y the third best dawg was testin the licker for me.

Anywaz I'm purty sure tha problem iz that the new still heets two quik so I needz to have it come up ta tempachur slower. Se win yer heatin the mash the foreshotz come offa the still first that stuff is poizun itl make ya go blind. Ya gitz stuff like Azitone at 134F, Methanolz at 147F, an Ethel aztate at 171F, sew ya gotta heet slow and uze thiz stuff ta run the pick up truck. The good licker starts commin off at 172F - 180F an ya can't let it go over 201F or it starz tastin real bad.

Any waiz the tempachur shoots up so fast i'm gittin the poizun mixd wit the good stuff an thaz why my thurd bez dawg iz blind. Pulez help me git thiz still under control I can't have cusdomers going blind or have bad tastin corn licker. I got all my money tyd up in thiz workin rite.

Herz a ptchur of my still if that hepz at all. Thankz Ya Awl!

hillbilly-01.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have a few concerns with the design. The boiler should be a Pressure Vessel. An Oil Tank has no pressure rating that I know of.:eek:

An engineer like Southern Man Should know better than this!

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hillybilly Man:

Sorry to hear about your dawgs. Hey listen, a buddy of mine headed east over the mountain a while back and settled down in Hickory after gettin' job at the brewery there. You want me to see if he can come up and help you get that still a runnin' right? I'd offer to do it myself, but we ain't had no whiskey makers in my family since WWII.

You be careful out there!

Last edited:

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
I have a few concerns with the design. The boiler should be a Pressure Vessel. An Oil Tank has no pressure rating that I know of.:eek:

An engineer like Southern Man Should know better than this!

Yup, I wuz a bit worried bout that myself,
Wen I wuz a young lad my daddy's still blewed up an I rimembr him been hurt reel bad.

I'm a bit worried bout this pro jeck cause I'm beeginin to have douts as to Southern Mans competance as an en-gin-ear.
The stoop fallin on my dawgs n all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Hillybilly Man:

Sorry to hear about your dawgs. Hey listen, a buddy of mine headed east over the mountain a while back and settled down in Hickory after gettin' job at the brewery there. You want me to see if he can come up and help you get that still a runnin' right? I'd offer to do it myself, but we ain't had no whiskey makers in my family since WWII.

You be careful out there!

Normally I'm pretty concerned bout strangers comin round my still.
I don't want no Revenewers sniffin around meetin the end o my scatter gun.
But Jr. if yur vochin for him I'd be glad ta av im come by.

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Well hod damn! that derz my daem oyl tank!
piss!
how da hell am i's gunna haet my haus?.......
Fut!

I'm so sorry Mister Rugged,
He toll me that he wuz byin a bran new oyl tank.
It didn't look tu nu doe...
da furst batch did kinda have an stink like dinasoar squeezins tu.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hillbilly man you could try building a smaller fire under it.
What kind of pressure does this thing have?
Does it have a gauge?

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Ah hi Mister Redwood.
She don't have no preshure gadge. All she has is a thermomenter.
Ah doezn't no what preshure it has but sometimez stills do blow up.

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
Why would you want a gauge on it?
Isn't this just for making moonshine?
I don't have a plumbing license, but isn't it just common sense that if it holds water that it must be made for that, and what in heck are you worried about, it's not like it's going to the moon.
It looks pretty well engineered to me. I bet it's even over engineered by a factor of six.
But my question is, can you make pancakes on it?
I'm getting hungry just thinking of pancakes with maple syrup.
Do they have syrup trees near that still?

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Ah Don't no but they says we pappy's still blew she mite have made it to the moon. I'm glad ya think ma still is a good one. I'm gonna try Mister Redwoods suggestion to build a smaller fire an see if I can get a good batch off.

I could make pan cakes on the fire in a skillit but no I don't have maple serup.
Iz got some hillbilly cuzins thet live in Vermont wich is the only yankee state I nose of where hillbilly's live. They make maple serup up there... Az far az I nose it's a yankee thing.

I could get them ta fix ya up wit som.

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Many thanks to Mister Redwood!:D

I've finally cooked of abatch that seems to be alrite.
My 4th best dawg is layin on his back n can't stand up but he dint go blind.
hez still lookin round all glassy eyed...

My customers ar happy n wanting more!

I been lookin at other threads here an wonderz if perhaps I could rig a tankless water heater ta do the job an increaz production.
What ya awl think o that!

I'm thinkin a small rig like dat widout the wood fire might jist be sumptin I cud rig up inda basemint o my houz. Widout atrakin any o dem gubermint snoops.

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Yessuh,
I started thinking with a tankless like a Rinnai R98i ASME I could make shine right in my cella an not av ta hang out in the woods. In the winter its cold n in the summer therz bugz.. I woodn't mind doin it in my cella.

Whatcha all think o that!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hillbilly man I really don't think that is a good application for a tankless water heater!:eek:

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
Hot dam hillbillyman! I havn't had this much intrtainment since last time i seen dat movie "water boy"! :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks