I need help with a Flushometer toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

J.J. Atchison

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a vintage 1955 Kohler Juvenile commercial toilet from my local Habitat For Humanity for $15 and tried to rig it up to flush in my backyard just to play around with by connecting a water hose to the flushometer but even though I had the hose faucet & flush valve turned up to the max the water just trickled out, any suggestions? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Flushometer takes a 1" supply. That means they won't work in a home. Or by using a garden hose. You will need to repipe your home from the street.

flushometer-toilet-wa-2.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
That's easier said than done.

If you were really motivated, you could get a big pressure tank and pipe that to the toilet with 1 inch pipe. Figure at least 4x the flush water requirement for size. However it might be cheaper and simpler to search for a "Baby Devoro".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, you can install a precharged storage tank next to the toilet and feed it with a 1/2" line then run 1" from the tank to the toilet. The "precharge" will give sufficient pressure and volume to flush the toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So you mean "Fluidmaster" fill valve?
Not Flushometer.

Two very seperate items and two different manufacturers. If your toilet has a tank, then a 1/2" supply is fine. If you have trouble with the Fluidmaster fill valve, you can either repair or replace it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That bowl would need at least 3.5 gallons to flush. Maybe five gallons.
A 1.6 gallon flushometer would only stir the water, not flush it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only time your camera stays in one position long enough to see what you are looking at is when it is flushing, and we do NOT care about that . If that is a 2" flush tube between the toilet and the tank, then it is NOT designed for a flushometer, although you could get a 2" x 1 1/2" reducing spud and connect a flush valve to it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think the point is that this is not a close-coupled toilet, but rather has the tank positioned on a pipe, which enters from the top of the toilet (unlike my old-timey 1927-vintage AS toilet, where the tank is mounted on the wall and the water enters the bowl from the top rear; here it's from the top). So I can see why the poster thought it might take a flushometer, but it's apparent that it takes a tank.

J.J. Atchison

Reaction score
The video is not mine BTW I just found it on YouTube. I already have a tank that I thought about using but it's not the original one, it came off a 1990's Eljer Emblem, a plumber in my area that I'm friends with told me I'll need a vacuum breaker sleeve so I could connect the pipe onto the tank and will also need to seal the 2 holes on the bottom where the tank bolts to the toilet stool so water won't leak out. Will any of these methods work or is the Eljer Emblem Tank to small?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have no idea what he means by a "vacuum breaker sleeve", but if it IS a top spud, tank type toilet, the tank will anchor to the wall and you will need the flush tube with the EXACT offset to fit into the toilet. How about a picture of YOUR toilet rather than one from the internet, with a concentration on the flush pipe connection with a ruler across it.. THAT is the only thing we need to see.

J.J. Atchison

Reaction score
Well I just decided to take the Kohler Juvenile & Eljer Emblem tank back to Habitat and trade them for some unknown brand of toilet that's complete with everything except the seat, the tank is from 1984 and the stool is from 1985.

The "years" are immaterial, because brands seldom interchange. You were probably on a hopeless quest to make that toilet work, especially with a tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

KDMCPlumbing

Reaction score
I didn't expect to see you here. You could have just posted a video on your channel asking the toilet community. You could have also asked me or jegkederming about the flushometer. The Kohler juvenile you are talking about could have been put on flushometer if you had the right spud reducers and your vacuum breaker was the right size. The hose needs a special fitting in order to connect to the flushometer. You might also have to turn up the flushometers pressure by turning the screw in the control stop on the end. Nice to see you here if you have any more questions ask the YouTube toilet community, we won't let you down:)

-KDMCPlumbing

J.J. Atchison

Reaction score
I didn't expect to see you here. You could have just posted a video on your channel asking the toilet community. You could have also asked me or jegkederming about the flushometer. The kohler juvenile you are talking about could have been put on flushometer if you had the right spud reducers and your vacuum breaker was the right size. The hose needs a special fitting in order to connect to the flushometer. You might also have to turn up the flushometers pressure by turning the screw in the control stop on the end. Nice to see you here if you have any more questions ask the youtube toilet community, we won't let you down:)

-KDMCPlumbing
Thanks but I no longer have that particular toilet.

ClassicTVMan1981

Reaction score
Please allow me to chime in on this situation.

The bowl is the same part number (K-4310-ET), regardless of the original setup (K-3860-ET flushometer; K-3860-EB tank).

He will need to look for a Kohler Winslow tank model #K-4502-A. The spud size will be different between flushometer and tank: 1-1/2" O.D. for the former and 2" O.D. for the latter. Additionally I would recommend he find one of those K-4502-A tanks with the K-9251 anti-siphon flush valve.

~Ben

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks