I need an iron/sulfur filter

Users who are viewing this thread

crombienator

Reaction score
So I recently had a water test done because I was having sulfur smells occurring after a long dry summer and pretty heavy well water use. When the man arrived I informed him I have hard water, I had assumed as to the fact that I am ignorant of these things, because I have an older mechanical water softener. Well after the testing was done to the raw water and after filter it was discovered that the water was not all that hard. So it seems, something I didn't know, that softener was most likely installed as an iron filter and not due to hard water.

Long story short the man recommended and iron filter. He said my softener was not necessary but would polish the water further if I chose to leave it in after the iron filter. The quote I was given for the filter install was outrageous in my opinion, to the point I would leave the system as it is. So now I am wading through the sea of different types of filters and trying to determine whats best in my application. I am also contemplating installing it myself. Any suggestions for my situation? I was looking at a katalox filter

The water test said (Raw)
Iron 5 ppm
Manganese .5 ppm
Hardness 3 ppm
11-12 GPM
I don't think he got a good sulfur test, but the smell is there.

The water test after actually lowered my iron to about 2 ppm. Which the tester seemed surprised by. I also have a fair amount of sediment going through my system

I have one bathroom. 3 people. Maybe my question has to many variables? Either way, thanks for the help!

Last edited:

crombienator

Reaction score
Can I buy something like this: Fleck 7000SXT Backwashing Birm Filter 1.5 Cubic Foot
Am I able to change the media from birm to katalox in this particular model? It says this is not for sulfur, so that is why I am wondering?

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I buy something like this: Fleck 7000SXT Backwashing Birm Filter 1.5 Cubic Foot
Am I able to change the media from birm to katalox in this particular model? It says this is not for sulfur, so that is why I am wondering?
Nope, don't want BIRM. Go for the KL. If you want 7000SXT, you need to hurry. End of life has been announced for some date in September with parts available at least 5 years after.

My Centaur Carbon-based backwashing filter works very well for sulfur+iron for me. Your iron is a lot higher than mine. However my system is supposed to be good for up to 15 ppm of iron.

Last edited:

WellOff

Reaction score
I have similar water, though about half of what you have: I have iron reducing bacteria [IRB], which requires me to treat up-stream- I use hydrogen peroxide.

Catalytic [correction to my initial post] carbon will take care of the iron and the sulfur smell, BUT, it won't faze your manganese. This realization took me a couple of years to finally figure out: I bought my equipment from someone who said that it would deal with the manganese- WRONG.

I have run an KL test filter on my water. It was the ONLY time that I saw manganese levels drop (my raw number tends to be around .18 ppm): dropped to .05ppm, which is at the acceptable level; I did not detect manganese, but this was only a very short test (I couldn't have my water system down for too long) and I don't have enough time/exposure to put my seal of approval on it.

I have no interest in KL other than as a potential end-user.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks