I need air injection Fleck head

Users who are viewing this thread

Dale Reimer

Reaction score
I have a manual Fleck 5600 on my whole house filter and I understand that you need air injection to control iron. Can the 5600 be converted into air injection or will I have to buy a new unit? What media should I put in the tank? After installing a water conditioner with 5600STX and a whole house filter with the 5600 manual I still get rust stains. I can tell the difference in water as far as I can get soap to lather up but the rust issue is still there. Any help would be appreciated.

Bannerman

Reaction score
By 'water conditioner', I anticipate you are referring to a water softener.

Any iron removal filter should be placed before a softener otherwise, the softener will be forced to deal with iron as opposed to the iron removal filter. While a softener may be utilized to remove some iron, it is not the most efficient or effective method depending on the iron content and other water conditions. Iron will foul the resin over time unless additional maintenance is incorporated on a regular basis.

What media is currently installed in the 'whole house' filter that utilizes the mechanical Fleck 5600 control valve?

While air injection is one method to oxidize ferrous iron to a ferric state so it maybe removed by mechanical filtration, it is not the only method and is not necessarily effective for every application. The most effective method will be largely dependant on the conditions of the raw water.

Do you have a current lab test report to post? If not, National Labs offers a Well Standard test package which will be effective to assist to determine appropriate treatment recommendations.

http://watercheck.myshopify.com/?aff=5

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agree... Please get a water test as linked above. The question is simply unanswerable without a real water test. As to converting it, it might be possible but might not be worth the headache. AIO is a little more complex than that. Lets see the water test then we can make some suggestions.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks