I messed up!!! Loose Shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Ddiss11

Reaction score
I recently completely gutted and renovated my full bath and made a huge mistake and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before I start tearing things back apart. Durring the rough in I placed a horizontal 2x6 between the studs and mounted my valve to the 2x6. Well apparently the 2x6 was such a great fit that I somehow forgot to screw it to the studs…I have a fiberglass surround and the bathroom is now completely finished. Earlier today I went to install the trim on the valve when I realized the mounting block is not secured to the studs. Does anyone have any other methods of securing the valve. I was thinking I could possibly get an angle drill and a long extension to possibly get some screws in it but it’s going to be a tight fit, anything is worth a shot before cutting back drywall and removing that section of the surround.

Also the shower backs my kitchen wall so cutting a access hole from the other room will not work.

Thanks you

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Blocks of wood and the trim screws should hold it tight. Wedge them in between the pipes and the tile backer. You might have to chip away alittle to get the blocks in just stay away from outer edge of trim so everything covers

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes valves are plumbed to fiberglass showers using the plate that comes with the faucet behind, and then clamped tight with the trim.
Jeff mentions wood blocking between the valve and the surface. Something like that can work. There are times when we have run across valves without the support, and we find a way to secure as best we can by wedging things.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How far away are the studs from the center of the shower hole? Is there any way to insert a very long screw bit tip and get a screw or 2 into the corner of the horizontal? or just into the stud enough that it keeps the horizontal from moving forward?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Perhaps you could spray just enough expanding foam at the ends of the horizontal brace to fill the gap without getting it onto the valve body and piping.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

Attachments

• 08-11-14-43.png
    08-11-14-43.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 109

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use construction adhesive and glue the corners to the studs. Or you could glue a chunk of wood on two sides and place it on the corner as a bracket. Wood glue or construction adhesive is extremely strong on wood connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks