I have to share: fastest way to clean a paint brush. 2 flushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I know this is yucky, but it works and is much tidier than using a sink.
I discovered it while painting in a house where the only working water was a toilet.
latex only.
Swish the brush in the bowl water getting the bulk of the paint off.
Flush holding the handle down longer than usual.
Then keep gently swirling while flushing, keep the handle down while letting the fresh water run through the brush.
When there is new water in the bowl, swirl it around to get the rest of paint out
and flush again.

Two flushes and it's clean.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't think its a good idea to clean latex brushes in any drains. I think there would be some residue buildup. I would scoop some water into a ziplock freezer bag and wash the brush in that first to get rid of most of the paint. Then throw the bag away or dump it outside. Final rinse in toilet if you must. You can also tightly wrap up the brush with paint on it in a ziplock and use it the next day.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I have never heard not to clean a latex brush in a drain. I wouldn't dump a gallon of paint into a drain, but cleaning a brush in a sink is pretty common practice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks