I have no idea how to handle this toekick duct...

Users who are viewing this thread

IdAuHunter

Reaction score
It's my first post on the HVAC side of things. I'm the first to admit HVAC is out of my lane. The answer may be obvious. But I have no clue how to tackle this.

Situation: Unsure how to handle a 6" supply that fed a toekick register under the kitchen sink base cabinet.

Background: Remodeling my kitchen after a dishwasher leak cause a partial loss. Old cabinets had a toekick register. The was custom fabricated and the water mediation company damaged it beyond repair when they removed the cabinets. I'm laying a 2nd layer of plywood in preparation for tile before the cabinets are installed.

Assessment: It's a 6" 90 degree elbow that comes up through the subfloor. Terminates flush with the subfloor. It will terminate underneath the kitchen sink vanity.

Problem: The cabinet installers said one cost effective option is to caulk the cavity under the kitchen sink base. This would prevent warm air leaking into the cabinet. Then cut out a toekick register.

I'm open to that option but there's a large gap between the subfloor and 6" duct. I don't want warm air pushing back down into the laundry room below. I could block off gap from below easy enough.

However, is there some boot or flange I should be installing over that 6" crimped end? It's held from below with a metal strap. I browsed Home Depot and didn't find any part that would address a situation like this.

I'm at a loss and want to get 2nd opinions before I install the plywood underlayment.

Thanks in advance boys!

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_143842.jpg
    IMG_20200403_143842.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_20200403_143912.jpg
    IMG_20200403_143912.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20200403_143920.jpg
    IMG_20200403_143920.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 302

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Google "6 inch round to rectangular duct transition". They are around in all sorts of configurations usually used for over the range exhaust hoods to vent outdoors. Or take a look at this site. If you have time, make a box with plywood and bring it the the toe kicker. The space around the duct just fill it in with fiberglass, spray foam, etc.
https://www.proremodeler.com/how-build-custom-toe-kick-deflector

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally I see those flashed to the floor there. How to describe? For a non metal-head?
I"m pretty sure they make a flat metal piece for that. Or worse comes to worse, cut a nice round hole in plywood, stick that down, and then a metal pipe or 90 that you can insert and then cut strips out that bend over the flooring to secure it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks