I have an Apprenticeship interview with the Committee and I need advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Billsnogo

wannabe plumber
Reaction score
Well, I am not sure how you did Morgan, but I got my letter today ranking me #7 out of 207. Now that is a pretty good place to be, but no guaranty as to how many will be placed to work this year. I am hoping the take at least seven guys this year :p

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
You did good. There is a plumber shortfall nationwide and the UA president keeps talking about our need for apprenti. You should get in.

Billsnogo

wannabe plumber
Reaction score
Thanks. I hope I get taken and am picked up by a good shop that will keep me so I do not spend any time on the bench. I am a little nervouse, but am sure it will all turn out good.

bill (impatiently waiting)

Billsnogo

wannabe plumber
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
That is real good, congrats.
Thanks, it is appreciated.

Now for a noob question. When I went for the interview, they gave us a sheet that listed the pay for a first year apprentice, but they broke it down into base pay (this is the only part I know), working fee (no clue), and Building trades credit union fund (no idea what that is either).

Does anyone know what the working fee and building trades credit union fund is? I tried contacting them, but have not receive a response. Just curious.

:D :D :D

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have worked in locals where they had a vacation fund. X amount per hour worked was automaticallt deducted from your check and deposited in the credit union. Then twice a year you could get a withdrawal.

Billsnogo

wannabe plumber
Reaction score
Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but not sure. I also think the working fee is the union due.

bill (still waiting impatiently)

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Working fees are a kind of dues. My local pays quarterly dues which goes on your hard card. The working dues are deducted by your employer from your wages, if you are not working, you don't pay them.

Billsnogo

wannabe plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
Just don't start depending on the union's retirement fund for your old age. They will usually find a way to screw you out of them.

Trust me, I won't. I plan on putting money aside into a IRA for that purpose. I will retire someday if I live long enough, and don't trust any company enough not to do enough on my own. :(

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
hj said:
Just don't start depending on the union's retirement fund for your old age. They will usually find a way to screw you out of them.

Yeah, usually by their dimwitted, pocket lining investments. "Hmm, let's dump $55 million into a property that is only worth <$20 million."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks