I have a question about running a second lateral into a clean out of a main lateral

Users who are viewing this thread

Sdstang

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a do-it-yourself in need of some advice. I'm adding a washer and sink but for convenience I'm running a second 3" lateral is to a clean out of the main lateral of my house. The cleanout goes 6' down to the main lateral from the surface. I was going to tap in the cleanout with a sanitation tea about 18" below the surface. Is there any restrictions to doing this? Is it ok that the clean out is tee and not a sanitation Tee at the bottom of the 6' stack?
Thanks for any input.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
To answer the second question, no, that's not OK, the proper solution is to cut a sanitary tee into the stack. How are you venting the washer and sink?

Cheers, Wayne

Sdstang

Reaction score
To answer the second question, no, that's not OK, the proper solution is to cut a sanitary tee into the stack. How are you venting the washer and sink?

Cheers, Wayne
I had planed a sanitary tee when I cut into the top of the cleanout stack. I dont know for sure but my question was that if the bottom of the cleanout is a tee do i need to dig all the way down and make that a sanitary tee.. washer and sink have 1.5" roof vent.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow your proposed configuration (a diagram would help) but the drainage path may not include any straight tees. [Edit: I mean the side entry of straight tees. Obviously draining straight through the tee is fine.]

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks