I have a GE 40 gal tank natural gas water heater. 40 BTU burner.

Users who are viewing this thread

T. Roe

Reaction score
I have heater set at max temp. after heater cycles doing a standby test I get 150 degree water at pop off valve. Sink in bathroom is 94 degrees and tub is 100 degree. Maybe 15 gallons of warm water before temp falls quickly. Sink and tube are about 15 feet from water heater and piping is insulated. Pop out valve line is un-insulated and discharge end is about 20 feet from heater. After 4 service call to GE they are telling me I have a mixing problem in my plumbing. I have been in this home for 37 years with no problems before. Can anyone help me. Piping is copper and heater is in attic. Temp today while doing test is 73 degrees.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sounds more like the cold water in entering the hot side of the tank.
I would run some water out of the tank, and feel the two lines to the tank. The cold water should be entering on the right side. The left will be warm.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It sounds more like the cold water in entering the hot side of the tank.
I would run some water out of the tank, and feel the two lines to the tank. The cold water should be entering on the right side. The left will be warm.

Is that looking from the Front or the Rear ?

lol. Hello Terry.

DonL

Reaction score
Thanks I will check today

Don't get top view and bottom view mixed up. lol

A lot of repair men do not like going into a attic. I do not blame them. It is a piss poor place to install a water heater, I think.

But you do get gravity feed.

Good Luck.

T. Roe

Reaction score
Found the problem. I have a second HWH that is electric. I have had it turned off and blocked in (valves on each hot and cold) for about 5 years. I was trying to check my hot water for cross flow since we had been remodeling this year (New faucets in kitchen and bath along with new washer in the last 2 years). Gas HWH is less than 2 years old. Last winter we noticed a decrease in temp of the HWH. While trying to do the test the valve to the gas HWH would not close off good enough to run test. So I rebuild the valve and while the water was off and drained down I cut loose the old electric heater. I was able to run the test and now have hot water at every faucet. Thanks to you guys and your forum I was able to located the problem and get it fixed. I turned the hot HWH to 130 degrees and I am getting hot water at each faucet above 120 degrees. I may look to get a mixing valve to go on the heater to keep the temp a little lower while keeping the HWH at 130 degrees. What are your thoughts on this idea?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you do the tempering valve, you can output at 120 and run the tank at 150. This gives you more usable water.
Though you may have enough as it is.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A classic case of "not enough information". You neglected to tell us about the second water heater, and expected us to give a good diagnosis, and solution, for the problem.

DonL

Reaction score
A classic case of "not enough information". You neglected to tell us about the second water heater, and expected us to give a good diagnosis, and solution, for the problem.

I agree.

Seems that after 4 service calls someone would have a clue.

The problem was that 40 BTU burner.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks