I got a pressure gauge. Long story. Not having a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
It's a WIKA DG-10-E digital pressure gauge 0... 60 PSI. Good for water and air. And what is cool is it take a reading 5 times per second and remembers the MIN and MAX pressures, which can then be reset.

When used to measure the water pressure, it is altitude-sensitive. If I lift the gauge 6 inches, the pressure goes down by about 0.20 PSI. I plugged that into a 1/4 NPT cross fitting, and added some Schrader valves. One Schrader valve is to let me calibrate tire pressure gauges, and the other is the same valve being used as a plug. Onto the 4th port I put a cheap 1/4 inch air hose and a nice clamp-on chuck. Unfortunately the chuck housing was hitting he base of the Schrader valve on the pressure tank (as well as my own 1/4 NPT Schrader valves). I worked around that with a Slime valve extender from an auto store. The extender does not have a valve itself, but instead has a pin that is pressed by the chuck and then in turn presses the pin in the pressure tank valve.

In fact, while setting the precharge, I had a quick-connect air hose fitting and the hose hooked to the compressor hose. So I would stop the compressor to let things equalize, and check the pressure. Then I released air and stopped where I wanted to be. I stopped at 35.84 PSI for the precharge.
img_2.GIF

These are spot-checks of the recorded accumulated min, max pressures for the water. After writing down a pair of pressures, I then reset the min and max on the gauge.

I figure the min and max readings do not quite match the pressure switch settings because it takes a while for the pump to start delivering water, and the water momentum probably delivers a little water after the power is off. The gauge is at the end of about 2 ft of garden hose, so there will be a little delay and smoothing. I used an air quick-connect fitting instead of a proper barbed fitting to connect to the cut-off garden hose. Then there is the fact that the pressure is only sampled 5 times per second.

I think things are pretty good now. I expect the pressure switch is set to about 38/57PSI with some jitter in the actuation, and some undershoot on the low end and overshoot on the high end. I suspect the two lows in bold could have been from actually running out of water in the pressure tank momentarily, but I did not detect water pressure dropping out.

I figure the water pressure at the pressure tank diaphragm is probably about 0.5 PSI below where I locate the gauge for taking reading, which is about the level of the bottom of the tank. Comments welcome, and I agree that the gauge is extravagant, but it is not too bad. I paid under $160 new. Other ranges somehow sell for a lot more.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Some more recent readings:
img_3.png
Most of these readings would be the mins and maxes from multiple cycles. 60.04 is probably the highest that my meter can read.

TVL

Reaction score
Well, as soon as I read this post, I felt I had to have one also ..................... but, then I saw the price - $437.00 Way too much for me!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
How do you interface with the gauge? I worked in a very large industrial facility and we only sampled once per second for our automation.

Reach4

Reaction score
IMG_Wika2.jpg

Brass 1/4 NPT cross with
A. The meter. Still on original battery. Showing high. To show low, poke the down arrow. Backlight set to go on for about 10 seconds after any arrow poke.
B. Old hose with GH connector on other end. This end was cut and clamped here to an air quick-connect fitting being re-purposed.
C. Schrader valve with extension on it, serving partly to store the extension.
D Schrader valve with cap, serving mainly as a plug

Not shown-- I have a 4-inch 1/4NPT nipple with a locking chuck for Schrader valve. To attach to my pressure tank precharge port, I need to put the extension on the tank to let the chuck activate the pin to pass air.

I have left this manifold hooked to the water for a while. My intention is to supply air at some point and to calibrate (just put sticker with info) air pressure gauges to this Wika gauge.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I meant by "interface" was how do you get the gauge to communicate with whatever recorded the pressures? Or are you recording that by hand? Does it have communication ability like a pressure transmitter/transducer?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am writing the numbers by hand. The high and low are recorded, but I copy from the display and then reset the high and low by button.

Telemetry would be nice, but that would be pretty costly for non-professional use.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If I was going to get all that serious, I would ditch the inter-tube cap and get a stainless valve cap, with O ring.

Unless you are at sea level and 1 G your readings may be off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks