I can't solder/neither could the orig. plumber could he?

Users who are viewing this thread

HarleySilo

Reaction score
This is what the joints look like throughout my house....

CIMG0696.jpg

CIMG0695.jpg

CIMG0693.jpg

CIMG0691.jpg

Now I'm no better, how bad is this work? Some like the green one in first pic drip.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
CIMG0694.jpg

Here is a pic of the damage they've caused over the years....

Black pipe gas line...

CIMG0697.jpg

CIMG0699.jpg

Should that be replaced or what?
The original cold water supply to kitchen sink ran over that, i moved it a few inches to left.

My most recent work...

CIMG0690.jpg

So i ask you, how many millimeters of solder do you "push" into a standard joint. Like 1 or 2, or like me a 1/2 inch hahahahah

I know why I use to much too. Cause I think too little I'll have to redo it all, too much it's ugly, but it holds.....

If I have a son next time, I'm going to make him solder a whole bunch until he uses so little you have to turn on the water to see if it's even soldered....

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
solder

My dad used to say, "You only start scrimping on solder and pipe dope, when you are nearing the end of the roll or can". In other words the amount you use is immaterial as long as you get a good joint. Sometimes I will apply the solder up to the point where the joint is cooling below the melting point, just to be sure it does not leak out and cause a bad joint.

Plumb or Die

Plumbing Instructor
Reaction score
Good Rule of Thumb

This is the rule of thumb taught in plumbing trade schools across Canada: The length of solder used for a copper fitting should correspond to the size of the fitting. 1/2" joint gets 1/2" of solder. 3/4" fitting gets 3/4" of solder. And so on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks