I am confused about these circuits - both are tied together in one jn box

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
Please check drawing - that might help you understand my question.

Is this multi wire branch circuit ? and on this type of circuit - we can not install afci/gfci combo breaker?
shared neutral.png

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It appears to be an MWBC. Given the level of detail in your drawing, I can't be more definitive.

For GFCI protection starting at the panel, you'd need a double pole GFCI breaker. For AFCI protection starting at the panel, you'd either need a double pole AFCI (some manufacturers make them) or AFCIs without any ground-fault sensing (some manufacturers make those). No idea if anyone makes a double pole AFCI/GFCI dual function breaker.

What is the make and model of the breaker panel?

Cheers, Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
It appears to be an MWBC. Given the level of detail in your drawing, I can't be more definitive.

For GFCI protection starting at the panel, you'd need a double pole GFCI breaker. For AFCI protection starting at the panel, you'd either need a double pole AFCI (some manufacturers make them) or AFCIs without any ground-fault sensing (some manufacturers make those). No idea if anyone makes a double pole AFCI/GFCI dual function breaker.

What is the make and model of the breaker panel?

Cheers, Wayne
Eaton BR type 200A

Afjes

Reaction score
Do you have a model # of the panel other than the brand name and amp rating? This does make a difference most times.
Some Eaton breakers may not be rated for some of their panels but for others.

Curiousv

Reaction score
Do you have a model # of the panel other than the brand name and amp rating? This does make a difference most times.
Some Eaton breakers may not be rated for some of their panels but for others.
Please check pic for model no. of panel - does that help? I could not find anything else
M.meanwhile I have a question - when a 12-2 cable meet old style 3 wire cable (red white and black) - how do you connect these 2 cable together?
My idea is from black of new 12-2 create 2 pigtails - one will go to red (of 3 wire cable) and another will go to black (of 3 wire cable)
white will tie to white and ground will tie to metal box ?
am I correct of I am wrong? @wwhitney

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 98

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My idea is from black of new 12-2 create 2 pigtails - one will go to red (of 3 wire cable) and another will go to black (of 3 wire cable)
That would likely create a dead short. I think you need some on-site professional assistance, i.e. an electrician.

Cheers, Wayne

Afjes

Reaction score
M.meanwhile I have a question - when a 12-2 cable meet old style 3 wire cable (red white and black) - how do you connect these 2 cable together?

This absolutely depends on what the wires are being used for at that connection.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.........Meanwhile I have a question - when a 12-2 cable meet old style 3 wire cable (red white and black) - how do you connect these 2 cable together?

I agree with Wayne, the way you are asking questions we do not want for you to get hurt, cause a short, or start an electrical fire.

I found this that shows what you are dealing with. Realize that the BLACK and RED are separate circuits with a separate breaker in the breaker pane. They are 180º out of phase of each other. Placing a voltmeter between the RED and BLACK you'll read 240 volts. This type of circuit uses a "common" neutral. In the picture, your junction box is where the wire nuts are.

If you want to add an outlet on the right outlet pictured, you can use a 2 wire cable, BLK to RED, WHT to WHT and GRN to GRN. Be sure that if the 3 wire is12 gauge (12=3, 20 amp breaker), you must use a 12 gauge cabe (12-2 with ground). If the breaker is 15 amp, then 14 gauge can be used.

I would highly recommend for you to buy this book. I bought one similar back in 1974 and referred to it for many years. My first choice as a career was to be an electrician, but I ended up doing telephone work for 40 years.

1659296254447.png

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want to use MWBC for outlets, and you want breaker GFCI, you will need a 2-pole breaker. If you are doing your GFCI with the outlets, then you need to have the two breakers tied together such that they can be turned off together. I am not going to get into the details as to what is a permissible way to do that. Using a 2-pole breaker is the easy way to accomplish that.

Afjes

Reaction score
I agree with worthflorida (post #8) in the suggestion to purchase the book from the link. Reading a book like this will give you a good understanding of electrical theory and installation assistance in the way of concepts so you can apply them to your own projects as needed. You will find after reading a book like this the answer to your question of this thread.

We don't mind helping DIYers and that is why we are here but in your case with your question about 12/2 meeting 12/3 is not a specific one answer but as I had said it depends on what is being wired etc so I can not give you an exact answer to your question.

Again, a book like this will give you an overall idea of theory which will help you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks