Hydrotherm HC-145 100k btu gas boiler adding radiant heat

Users who are viewing this thread

Jagr676

Reaction score
Hi there I’m just looking some
Knowledge insight into the downfalls of my idea.

Remodeling our master bathroom on first floor. There’s currently one 5 ft section of radiant fin tube baseboard. We’re relocating the toilet and adding a free standing cast iron tub that’s going to be close to the baseboard and we’re thinking of removing and adding radiant floor heat just in this bathroom.

There are 2 zones total in the house on Taco 007ecm circulators one for first and one for 2nd floor. The first floor thermostat is right outside the bathroom door. We have access to the joists and under subfloor as basement is unfinished. If we eliminated this baseboard heat and cut in a pex loop with radiant plates and insulation but didn’t add seperate zone and mixing valve what would be downsides? My boiler runs at 185 and total subfloor plywood would be 1.25”, then Ditra schluter uncoupling membrane thinset and tile. Is it really too hot to run it like this without a whole seperate zone and mixing valve. Just looking to understand this best I can thank you guys on advance.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Floor radiate heat runs on a lot cooler water 80°-85°. Higher water temps can dry out the.plywood plus don't want the tile to warm. There are different ways to add add a cooler water zone but it isn't inexpensive mixing control, another pump and piping. Might want to look into electric cable like Warm Floor used it a tile on slap family room did a wonderful job thermostat had a floor sensor.

Jagr676

Reaction score
Floor radiate heat runs on a lot cooler water 80°-85°. Higher water temps can dry out the.plywood plus don't want the tile to warm. There are different ways to add add a cooler water zone but it isn't inexpensive mixing control, another pump and piping. Might want to look into electric cable like Warm Floor used it a tile on slap family room did a wonderful job thermostat had a floor sensor.
80 degrees is that Fahrenheit I thought I heard 130-140? Is there a calculation for your subfloor thickness or stack to surface temps? Would be interested to know what I would be running at if I didn’t run a cooler zone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks