Hydronic zone vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I need to add a vent to the top floor of my loop. I have an exposed piece if 1/2 pipe in a wall that I can access. I was thinking of adding an access panel to the wall and putting a vent on it. What is the best type of vent? I do not mind a manual one. But there has to be an easy sweat on solution here. I was gong to use a ball valve with a bleed, but feel that must be a simpler way.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
One problem with an automatic vent behind a wall panel is that if it ever starts seeping/dripping it might not be notice until you have a serious mold problem.

An "...easy sweat on solution..."? Maybe not.

With a sweat half-inch tee and a 3-6" stubbed up to to a sweat half-inch to female NPT adaptor, and half-inch male to 1/8" reducer bushing the typical 1/8" thread manual radiator bleeder or the tiny Watts HAV vent/bleeder with positive turn-off can be installed at the top. The vertical stub becomes a bubble trap (though it's more effective if it's on a fatter piece of pipe, for slower velocity, more time for bubbles to rise). I don't think any body makes a half-inch sweat to 1/8" female NPT single fitting.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
One problem with an automatic vent behind a wall panel is that if it ever starts seeping/dripping it might not be notice until you have a serious mold problem.

An "...easy sweat on solution..."? Maybe not.

With a sweat half-inch tee and a 3-6" stubbed up to to a sweat half-inch to female NPT adaptor, and half-inch male to 1/8" reducer bushing the typical 1/8" thread manual radiator bleeder or the tiny Watts HAV vent/bleeder with positive turn-off can be installed at the top. The vertical stub becomes a bubble trap (though it's more effective if it's on a fatter piece of pipe, for slower velocity, more time for bubbles to rise). I don't think any body makes a half-inch sweat to 1/8" female NPT single fitting.

This is a great idea. This is simple actually. I was planning to so a manual vent anyway. I will likely do exactly this. TY for your suggestion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks