hydronic question on wiring a zone valve to shut off qravity feed to upstairs loop

Users who are viewing this thread

patjfrisc

Reaction score
I have 5 zones in my house a primary loop, with a zone control for den, upstairs loop with 3 zones. I have a problem with qravity causing the upstairs loop always hot. I want place a zone valve in the upstairs loop to stop the gravity feed which I know will stop the flow. The problem is how to wire it. Taco zone valves and using a tac 5 zone controler. How wire that only the when the any upstairs zone opens the zone vale for upstairs feed will open without tripping the other zone valves. Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If the zone values are working there's no way for it too gravity feed. Sounds like the valve isn't closing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like it should work already...but, one way to modify it would be as follows:

- take the end switches of the three zones you want to enable that 'major' zone, connect them together, and run it to the now unused zone in the controller. Wire that new zone so it opens the new zone valve to those three zones.

As noted, it sounds like one or more of the zone valves are not closing now, and the 'fix' should not be necessary. It's more likely to be the zone valve, but could be a stuck relay in the zone controller that is keeping it (them) open. That should be easy to check with a meter.

patjfrisc

Reaction score
Normally yes the zone would prevent it but I built in bypasses in each zone that's why it gravity feeds

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks