Hydronic manifold help

Users who are viewing this thread

Brent Blume

Reaction score
I have an almost 40 year old hydronic heating system in our home. the 3/4" manifolds that supply/return from the slab are corroding/breaking. I believe a plumber called this "1/4 inch quest tubing" that goes into the slab. I would like to replace these manifolds but I can't seem to find anything similar. I also believe some if not many of these tubes are clogged off with hard water deposits. is it safe to try to pump vinegar into these loops? Or do you know of a better option?
TIA
Brent Blume

Attachments

• 16094579550151653344162.jpg
    16094579550151653344162.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 140

Fitter30

Reaction score
Is this a closed loop or is new water constantly introduced? Quest piping grey in color used between 1978 - 1995 just what i found. Think that if a new manifold was made tubing would be to brittle. Vinegar don't think it would help with the flaking. Maybe someone from the uk or Finland where they use smaller tubing might have a idea.
Quest (polybutylene) water pipes are made of plastic resin and were commonly used in water supply lines in homes from 1978 to as recently as 1995. However, the inner walls of the pipe flake and become brittle, possibly as a result of oxidants in the water. Today, building codes dictate that polybutylene pipes not be installed in homes. Repairing a pipe of this type requires cutting out the broken section and replacing it with CPVC. The pipes are joined together with adaptor coupling

Last edited:

Brent Blume

Reaction score
I suppose it would be considered closed loop. It recirculates the same water. There is provision to add fresh water as needed. The tubes all feel very pliable.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are all the tubes the same outer diameter, and what is that diameter? Apparently PB was made in CTS dimensions, so it should be a multiple of 1/8", and 1/8" greater than nominal. So 1/4" PB would have a 3/8" OD.

Cheers, Wayne

Fitter30

Reaction score
For a manifold either black or brass pipe and have a machine shop drill and tap 1/4" pipe threads and insert 1 /4" mpt x 1 /4" barb fittings, 3 /4" pipe threads both ends, cap one end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks