Hydronic Heating Expansion Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

mike christensen

Reaction score
92DDB057-5CBE-4C21-8F98-E57B5854EEB6.jpeg
402D9A9D-2F96-4133-B4D1-95F2B4CC3AB4.jpeg
My boiler fed hydronic heating system’s expansion tank is on a long loop between the inlet and outlet of the boiler. Any reason why this loop was installed? It has a gate valve on the loop should it be open or closed? System was installed in 1985.

Last edited:

mike christensen

Reaction score
Radiators, fin tube need some pics of your system. Not enough info.
Apologies for the blurry picture. Line from outlet of boiler does a loop under the landing on my staircase back to the inlet of the boiler. The expansion tank is tee’d off of this line. Gate valve is just before the inlet line of the boiler.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While an ET will work anywhere in the heating loop, it does depend on where you have any valves that might prevent it from 'seeing' the expansion. It can help to place it near the inlet to the circulation pump so that it can help prevent potential cavitation with the 'extra' supply when the pump turns on. Can't see enough of your system to get a feel why yours is where it is, and if that was a prudent choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks