Hydrobarrier applying

Users who are viewing this thread

jpatz18

Reaction score
I plan on using laticrete hydro-barrier, instead of the redgard. From what I have read Laticrete is thicker. Should I apply it to all the cement board, like you would redgard? Its is for a shower/tub. I plan on using the laticrete mesh for all the corners.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thicker isn't an indication of better, it's an indication of it being just different!

What IS critical is to apply it properly which will take some reading and following the instructions along with purchasing a test tool. You really need to apply the coats (most call for 2, and may call for a thinned primer coat on some substrates that does not count) within the min/max of the specifications...if you 'wing' it, you could be way off. You need to swing by a paint store and buy a (they're inexpensive) wet-film thickness tool. That is the only way you're going to reliably determine if your coat is the proper thickness. It also requires that you understand how to use it and use it properly. It's not hard, but I've seen supposedly 'expert' people use them incorrectly. Give 5 people the same brush or roller and have them paint something, and you'll end up with 5 different coverages...some may or may not be proper. The only way to know is to measure it...you really can't tell by eye.

Exceeding the design thickness is as bad as having it too thin.

I'd cover at least as high as the showerhead with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks