Hydoy jetting into a vacuum for clean up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Recently hydro jetted a 60 year old 4" 70' cast iron pipe.
Descaled about 30lbs of debris.
I was shocked that this debris was just pushed down the way into the city sewer.

The clean out the hydro jet went down into was like a Z shaped entrance. There was no chance of the debris exiting out of the pipe as it would have to travel up 3' through two 90s.

So this brings me to:
1) Pushing all this iron descale and sludge out to the 6" city line must not be a good idea.
2) Thinking of solutions, has anyone used a flexible vacuums hose that can fit down a 3" clean out, go through a Z bend and then suck up 30lbs of descale instead of kicking it all down to the city? Maybe something that can go 10' long?
Shop Vac might not fit? and may not be long enough? Maybe Curious if there is some economical way to clean up all the heavy iron chips and loose pipe debris that occurs from hydro jetting. Just tough to get down into the pipe. I just hate seeing all that heavy debris get pushed down the line into the city sewer? Seem like too much heavy debris to go sit down stream from me? Not like is going to move for the next 100 years.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The company I work for owns a fleet of hydro-jetting and vac trucks. We would just hook directly to the 3" cleanout. Economical is not a word that comes to mind. Our customers don't ask "how much?", just "when can you get here?"

Reaction score
The company I work for owns a fleet of hydro-jetting and vac trucks. We would just hook directly to the 3" cleanout. Economical is not a word that comes to mind. Our customers don't ask "how much?", just "when can you get here?"
I am sure there are tons of solutions if no one cares about money. Thanks, sounds like what you are saying is it is too expensive for a home owner? I wonder if the city would it as I am trying to avoid this going to them.

Reaction score
I just called the hydro jet company they said they never heard of connecting a Vac truck to a clean out? The guy was a bit rude so not sure who knows what but sucking debri 3' up through a Z bend using a Vac truck is a no go he said. Needs to have a pit you drop it into and then suck it up.
But with out the pit, they Truck Vac is a no go? What was your experience? Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I just called the hydro jet company they said they never heard of connecting a Vac truck to a clean out?
Probably they just do municipal sewers. We have a variety of different size trucks and we don't do municipal sewers. The little one I drive just has a 2" suction hose but I've worked the dumb end of bigger hoses.

Reaction score
Probably they just do municipal sewers. We have a variety of different size trucks and we don't do municipal sewers. The little one I drive just has a 2" suction hose but I've worked the dumb end of bigger hoses.
So how far down can you put that 2" hose. This is not a municipal so love to learn more about how you do this. I am not clear on how hooking up a vac hose to a clean out will pull debris up and out of a pipe. I feel like you would need to drop a line 5-6' down into the line to get the pile of iron debris sucked up and not ask a vac to suck it up from 6' away at the flush ground surface of the clean out? Thoughts?

Reaction score
If you take your finger and draw a Z in the air, like our plumber did, you can quickly allow someone with out much plumbing knowhow to understand there are two 90s in the the pipe that drops down under ground. I think you get it but wanted to just call it out as not the coolest way to explain it?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
So how far down can you put that 2" hose.
The hose is not meant to go inside any pipe. It is too stiff and has camlock fittings on the end. On the industrial vac trucks we use disposable hose that looks like Big O pipe without any slots.

Connecting directly to the cleanout would only work if there was sufficient air entering upstream to provide the velocity needed to move the material. I would think on a residential drain, the vent piping would serve that function. Of course it could possibly work the wrong way and suck sewage from downstream.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks