HW Tank Installation Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The heat traps help to prevent hot water from escaping via convection unless a valve is opened. It helps save energy. They're usually color coded for the specific port. If installed backwards, you will restrict or maybe even stop flow into and out of the tank.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are both the same color--blue. Is the side with the flap installed up or down?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flap needs to be able to open with the water flow (i.e., a valve opened, but close to help restrict convection flow. My guess is it should hinge away from the normal flow.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Everything I used was CPVC. I believe it's rated to 180 degrees."

That horizontal white pipe with gray fittings in the first picture of your Post 16 is the same white pipe with gray fittings that is shown in the second and third pictures of Post 1. That doesn't look like any CPVC that I have ever seen, and the hot water flows through one of them.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
The flap needs to be able to open with the water flow (i.e., a valve opened, but close to help restrict convection flow. My guess is it should hinge away from the normal flow.

Actually, the flap opens in or out to the same degree. I just don't know whether the end with the flap should be up or down, or if it even matters. I might just throw them away and keep using the ones with no restrictions or flaps.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bob NH said:
"Everything I used was CPVC. I believe it's rated to 180 degrees."

That horizontal white pipe with gray fittings in the first picture of your Post 16 is the same white pipe with gray fittings that is shown in the second and third pictures of Post 1.

You're right. I replaced all the bad piping up to the PVC. But they don't have any money to replace the PVC that should never have been installed inside in the first place.

So, the temp. is set to the low end of the thermostat. I'm sure one day the PVC will fail, and then she'll have to replace it. It's already becoming brittle. I couldn't even use a hacksaw to cut it without it splintering. I had to use my rotozip to get a nice smoothe edge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks