HVAC outdoor fan not running

Users who are viewing this thread

mike8549

Reaction score
Hi folks...I have a Rheem RPNJ-030_JAZ, 1997. The outdoor fan bearing was bad so I replaced the fan with the equivalent new fan (required upgraded capacitor 7.5uF), replaced also. I also replaced the defrost control board. Fan started immediately but since initial start-up, fan will not start on it's own. When unit turns on, fan does not automatically start, but if I manually spin blades, fan starts working. As far as I can tell from testing, capacitor is good, switch is working fine. Please advise what I might be missing?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Try the original capacitor. It it a single or dual capacitor?

Last edited:

mike8549

Reaction score
Try the original capacitor. It it a single or dual capacitor?
Thanks! It is a dual capacitor. I did put the old capacitor back in after testing it (appeared good) and the fan still did not start. It also would not start upon manual spinning.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Check the voltage before and after the contactor. Could be a broken connection at the crimp, corrosion, or a worn out contact. A bad motor out of the box would be rare but always possible. I’m assuming the compressor does run and you’re in heat pump mode.

On the cover of the compressor unit there is a wiring diagram, see if the fan has it’s own relay or not.

Here is the wiring diagram.
https://resource.gemaire.com/is/con...30jaz_article_1369225426306_en_wd.pdf?fmt=pdf

The fan motor is the OFM on the upper left. The black lead goes to the LAR as optional. This may keep the motor from running during low ambient temperatures. I never worked on a heat pump but this is what gather from the schematic.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks