HVAC in bathroom and exhaust fans

Users who are viewing this thread

ubersanger

Reaction score
I am building a new master addition to my house. It is not possible to extend ducting of existing hvac to the addition so we are going to go minisplit. The addition is 480 square ft, 280 for the bedroom, 90 for bathroom and the rest for his and her closets. I am worried that a single point mini split will not provide adequate hvac to the bathroom area. I also think that adding a 2nd zone to the bathroom may be overkill, not to mention a big increase in price.

I had an idea of installing a room to room in wall fan to circulate the conditioned air into the bathroom. Has anyone done anything like this? But the other part of the equation becomes if I do that, how would that affect the sizing of the bath exhaust fan. Should it be sized the same size or should it be sized larger to maintain a negative pressure to move air outside?

Fitter30

Reaction score
I think the smallest 2 zone mini is 1.5 ton. Bathrooms do not have return air just exhaust fan. Could have a wall unit for bedroom and ducted for closets, hallway and bathroom with return in hallway.

ubersanger

Reaction score
No hallway and don't need to condition closets per se so just a bedroom and adjacent bathroom is all I need. I suppose I could do ducted single zone mini to cover bedroom and bath, but as there won't be conditioned attic space, I'd have to figure where to put the indoor blower unit. the utility closet in plan is actually combo linen closet. The bathroom is getting its own short lowboy water heater and I'll put shelving above it. I thought about putting the blower in there for ducted but the clearances aren't quite sufficient.

I should add, I don't have much experience with mini-splits so maybe the single indoor wall unit will have no problem with air distribution in this plan. If so, what location would likely give me the best distribution with a single wall unit.

Attachments

• 20-3-2020_10-29-8_960_540.jpg
    20-3-2020_10-29-8_960_540.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks