HVAC height requirement in crawlspace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kendal

Reaction score
Is there a height requirement for the air handler of a split unit (gas) to be in a crawlspace?

thank you for your time
Kendal

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "height requirement". Of course it must fit. I would assume you will need to use a Horizontal furnace and coil. These need to be specified, since not all coils and furnace models can be converted to horizontal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kendal

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your response. I was told by the Electrical Inspector that there is a height requirement of 56" needed in a crawlspace to place the air handler there. Simply put, I had 3 bids on HVAC and all 3 said they could put in my crwal, which by the way is 53 1/2 " tall. Are you kidding me? I was hoping someone could shed light on this or is this a bunch of stuff. Do I need to go above his head. thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the crawlspace have a concrete floor, or is it dirt? If it's dirt, worst case, dig out some to make the inspector happy. Some locations have their own ammedments to national codes...this may be one of them. It's not one I've heard of, but then, I'm not a pro.

I might ask him for the code reference so you can read it in its entirety. Low overhead will make installation more troublesome as well as the inspection...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't try to "go over his head". You NEVER win that battle. I would ask this question up on the electric forum, to see if someone knows of an access height requirement like this in the electric code.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
How tough would it be to shovel out 2.5"-3" of depth to hit the 56" spec, in the relevant area, saving the argument?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks