Hunter XC system leaking water up through yard

Users who are viewing this thread

NateInOK

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to help a friend of mine repair his sprinkler system. There was water leaking up from the dirt, in the front yard. I thought it might have been a leak/crack in the water main to the house. After some dirt removal I found a green cap. Under the green cap was even more dirt in a 6” pvc. I pulled the dirt out until I got to, what looks like, a valve. I did some research on his system. It’s a Hunter XC controller in the garage. I can’t find the typical large green box that houses the solenoids and shit off valves. It appears he just doesn’t have one. But, the water is coming from the valve in the ground. It’s about 24” deep in the yard. My question...can this valve be repaired in ground. Digging it out, pulling the pvc housing, cutting the line, taking out the valve, then patching in a new one seems a little arduous. On the farm, we fix frost free hydrants when they leak like this one. Water comes out from the sillcock (I think that’s what it’s called) or stem, to which, the valve handle attaches. In order to close it. We just pull the parts from the hydrant and replace the stem. Can that be done with a “master valve” in a sprinkler system? Seems like it should be possible. But, I have been incorrect about a lot of things that “seemed” a certain way. Lol! Thanks in advance!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Need to see exactly what it is. Most valves can be rebuilt in place but can you see where it is leaking from? If it's a cracked, replacement may be the only option. Sometimes its the glue joint leaking or a hairline crack in the PVC pipe.

If it's just the seal then yes it can be repaired in place but you'll need to id the valve brand and model or take a picture and bring to to a dealer.

Most master valves are the same as any irrigation valve, it where it is installed in the system and if the wiring is connected to the P terminal at the controller. If the wire is on any of the zone terminals then is is a zone valve. If you are using a pump, the pump relay would be connected at the P terminal. Master valves are not use very often for typical home lawn irrigation. It would be an advantage if you are using your domestic water well water with a pressure tank and you don't want any part of the irrigation system having pressure on it when not in use and to reduce the workload for the well pump.

Last edited:

NateInOK

Reaction score
Need to see exactly what it is. Most valves can be rebuilt in place but can you see where it is leaking from? If it's a cracked, replacement may be the only option. Sometimes its the glue joint leaking or a hairline crack in the PVC pipe.

If it's just the seal then yes it can be repaired in place but you'll need to id the valve brand and model or take a picture and bring to to a dealer.

Most master valves are the same as any irrigation valve, it where it is installed in the system and if the wiring is connected to the P terminal at the controller. If the wire is on any of the zone terminals then is is a zone valve. If you are using a pump, the pump relay would be connected at the P terminal. Master valves are not use very often for typical home lawn irrigation. It would be an advantage if you are using your domestic water well water with a pressure tank and you don't want any part of the irrigation system having pressure on it when not in use and to reduce the workload for the well pump.

Attachments

• 2A8F5515-E50F-431A-9EA8-C3C70080CBE0.jpeg
    2A8F5515-E50F-431A-9EA8-C3C70080CBE0.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 160
  • FAB44389-6727-46DF-86BD-133D8A9F7ADA.jpeg
    FAB44389-6727-46DF-86BD-133D8A9F7ADA.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 173

NateInOK

Reaction score
This is city water. About 4ft from the water meter towards the house. It’s like it’s connected directly to the house’s main from the meter. The pics show about how far down I’ve gotten so far. The handle was just like any other valve. It screwed in to the stem in the valve. When you pull the handle off the stem drops into the diaphragm of the valve. It looks like there is a top that is tightened down with a socket. So, I assumed it could be removed. Haven’t had much luck yet though. Water is off. So the pressure shouldn’t be keeping it locked in.

NateInOK

Reaction score
Here are some additional pics for perspective. There’s no wires on it. I can feel the connections on each side. Just haven’t dug out around it yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 162

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Looks like a typical (gate?) shut off valve and not an irrigation valve. Irrigation would be plastic and at least one pair of wires to an solenoid.

NateInOK

Reaction score
Looks like a typical (gate?) shut off valve and not an irrigation valve. Irrigation would be plastic and at least one pair of wires to an solenoid.
I don’t understand why there would be two water shut offs for a house. Especially, right next to each other. The meter lids aren’t locked. Another issue is there is no box where the wires from the controller run. It’s pretty weird. But, every house on this street has this green capped valve. Thanks for the info though. I really appreciate it.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I don’t understand why there would be two water shut offs for a house. Especially, right next to each other. The meter lids aren’t locked. Another issue is there is no box where the wires from the controller run. It’s pretty weird. But, every house on this street has this green capped valve. Thanks for the info though. I really appreciate it.
Maybe at one time there was another structure like a barn and there could have been a second water meter. You'll need to dig down further as one of them may not be connected to anything. Has the water mains on the street side ever replaced or the line to the home?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks