humidistat??

Users who are viewing this thread

CHRISUPNORTH

Reaction score
After doing a couple of checks with my voltage meter I have determined that my humidistat is shot. It is cheap standard issue that mounts in a hole in the return air duct.
I am thinking about upgrading to a thermostat/humidistat combo. Is there one that takes a reading from the outside air temp and adjust humidity accordingly? Also, I have a 5 conductor thermostat wire running from the current thermostat to the furnace. I have FAG furnace and central air. I believe I have 2 conductors free????

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
humidifier

Why would you use the outdoor temperature as a basis for the humidity? The relative humidity is a function of air temperature and if you use the outdoor cold weather, your level will be so low indoors that you might as well not have the humdifier.

CHRISUPNORTH

Reaction score
Why would you use the outdoor temperature as a basis for the humidity? The relative humidity is a function of air temperature and if you use the outdoor cold weather, your level will be so low indoors that you might as well not have the humdifier.

The fact is, I dont know. I was just asking the question because on my current humidistat there is a scale that sugests a humidity level based on different outdoor temps.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some humidifers (like the Aprilaire unit I have) come with an outside air temp sensor. It adjusts the interior humidity based on the outdoor temp so you don't get condensation on the walls if it is really cold out. It also turns the humidifier off once it gets above 50-degrees outside. It's handy since you can set it and it won't turn itself on during the summer. Those who live in the desert probably would have trouble getting the humidity high enough to cause condensation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks