Humidifier Installed in Return Duct

Users who are viewing this thread

JRowley

Reaction score
I purchased an Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier.

Per the instructions, the steam dispersion tube is supposed to be installed in the cold air return, with about 4 - 5' of "absorption distance". I'm wondering, why can't I just install the dispersion tube about 2' prior to my 2-zone ducting (where it Y's off) where my dampers are on the supply side? FYI they are manual dampers currently but are wired for electronic control in the future, and the cold air return utilizes an air exchanger.

Thank you !

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's always best to follow the manufacturer's instructions! Heating the air after injecting the moisture helps ensure that it stays in a gaseous state. If you put it into the air after the heater, there is the possibility it might condense and cause issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks