Hum and Delay in garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The badgers with the galvanized steel gring chamber will never even come close to making it ten years.

They are never to young to jam and I have yet to see one.

jvwagner

Reaction score
Thank you for this forum! My 5-yr old Insinkerator 777ss started leaking at the top wrap-over flange after grinding up a long steak bone (I'm not going to do that again, but I'll still put in a full turkey carcass); Insinkerator gave me the new model, the Evolution Excel, under warranty at no charge, no questions (that 7-year warranty is the real deal; great company). The Evolution Excel has the hum; I assumed it was a bad starting capacitor (my 15-yr old Genie garage door opener just had the same problem; new $20 cap and all is good). I called the local applicance shop that gave me the new disposer under warranty and they said they never heard of such a delay. The disposer works fine; and other than it came with a single splash guard (the old 3/4 hp Badger One I had, which lasted 10-year - but I had used JB Weld on the leaky housing to keep using it on more than one occassion - had two guards); the local store gave me a second splash guard (the one that mounts from under the sink; I had to go back there anyway as the new disposer didn't come with a power cord) so I have two spash guards now; it runs very quite (so much so, we're concerned we could leave it on). But now I can rest assured that my new unit is operating properly because of this form. Thank you again guys (and gals).

Gbrecht

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same when I tested right after install. I put 1/4 cup of rice and noodles in unit turned on water, hit switch and it hummed for 10 seconds then tripped the circuit on the unit. I inserted jam tool and it turns easily in both directions. Waited 5 or so minutes and reset circuit on bottom, hit switch and did the same thing. Went as far to remove unit and inspect inside after I removed the food and saw nothing. Checked wiring on bottom as well and all was good. Put back in and still trips. Think I got a dud as the reviews are so good on this unit. May need a technician to come check it out. Emailed them about issue. Will see what they have to say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks