Huge Hole in Shower stall How to Repair without purchasing new stall

Users who are viewing this thread

KArena Lewis

Reaction score
I recently purchase a house and have sent all my money on heating electrical and plumbing just adding pipes back into the house and getting the roof fix .Is there any way to fix this shower stall on my own?

Attachments

• PART_1475802724663_20160929_161704.jpg
    PART_1475802724663_20160929_161704.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,248

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One way would be to have a fiberglass repair done on that. I've had some pretty big holes patched by them.
Or if you are lacking money and resources, you could stick and glue something over that. If depends on how flat those wall sections are as to how well it would conform and be water tight.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a idea for you to try no promises that it will be "as good as new", but I think it will make the stall usable. Start out by cutting two 1x4 pieces that will be long enough to go from below the hole to above the top. Use stainless steel screws to attach these pieces on the inside of the hole. Now cut two more pieces of 1x4 to go across the top and bottom of the hole. Length of these pieces determined by the space between the 2 upright pieces. Now you will have a frame on the backside of the stall. You will need now to find a piece of fiberglass that will fit over the hole. Drill holes on the edges of this patch and through the shower stall. Now get some waterproof epoxy and spread around the edges of the patch and screw the patch through the stall and into the 1/4 frame. I'd space the screws holding the patch about 6" apart. You need that 1/4 frame to give the stall some stiffness so that the screws holding that patch have something to grab onto.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd cut a piece of plywood that is about 3" larger than your existing hole. Drill a pilot hole in the middle of it. Get a stick of wood that is longer than the hole by maybe 6"...drill a through hole in the middle of it. Put a bead of silicon around the whole piece of ply, get it into the hole in the shower...orient it so that you have as even an overlap you can around the existing hole, pull it towards the back of the wall while tightening up the screw to then act as a clamp to pull it up against the back of the shower wall. Leave it overnight for the silicon to cure (or, you could use epoxy resin, and not need to wait as long). Once it is secured as a backing board, remove the screw and the clamping board from the front surface.

Get some car repair fiberglass sheets along with some epoxy resin and hardener...mix up the epoxy, and fill in the hole, extending the top layer of fabric (you'll need more than one layer to build up the depth you need) to overlap the existing hole's edges. Let it cure, sand flush, paint if you want to make it look decent, or just leave it until you can replace the whole thing. You can do this for not much money, and you don't need to worry about how it looks.

If you want it to look good, you can pay someone, but if you are careful, and then can get a suitable finish (like what a pro would use), you could make it look as good as new.

You could also get something like a piece of plexiglass, epoxy it in place from the front that would work as a temporary repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks