Huge Diameter Shower Head Pipe. Would like to replace with standard. What To Do?

Users who are viewing this thread

ToolGuy

Reaction score
I have a shower head with a pipe feed that is much larger than 1/2"

I believe it is 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" The outside diameter of the pipe is about 1-1/4" It is far too large for any off the shelf shower assembly. I want to add a hose and wand to the current set-up without having to open up the wall or have my shower unavailable for more than a day.

Other online sources say 1/2" npt is standard in the U.S., but this ain't no 1/2" NPT.

Should I just get a pipe wrench and unscrew the big angled pipe out of whatever the fitting is in the wall? I

I took off the shower head, unscrewed the fitting that holds it, but there was more stuff in side the chrome pipe, like a filter, etc. I tried, gently, to remove that, but it started to hurt the threads for the shower fitting so I stopped.

I don't understand why anyone would put in a non standard pipe, but now I am stuck with it.

What do you suggest?

I am thinking that I get this chrome pipe out, try to find a new pipe with the same diameter and add a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer.

Or perhaps you know where I can buy a new shower head that is 3/4"?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Last edited:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not all is what it appears. Several manufacturers make large diameter arms with 1/2" connection. This is Hansgrohe. You will need to remove the arm from the wall to see what you are dealing with. I'm sure you will see 1/2" NPT.
1662408019804.png

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Get the shower head off. Then usually a heavy screwdriver or one handle of channel lock pliers to unscrew with leverage.

ToolGuy

Reaction score
Shower head simply pulls out of the rubber/silicone base. Then I used a cresent wrench to take off the part the shower head plugs into, but cannot remove what is behind it. in the pipe neck, so next, as suggested above, I will use a heavy rag wrap and a pipe wrench to attempt to remove the whole pipe. I have to look at the escutcheon, I think it has an Allen set screw. Not looking forward to any of this.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no idea why your doing this but if there are no set screws then it just unscrews .

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kohler makes a big looking shower arm in their Purist line. The shower arm threads over 1/2 NPT.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks