Hubless coupling questions.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mike58, May 24, 2010.

1. Mike58

Mike58 New Member

Are there limits on use of shielded hubless couplings?

I am installing an ABS DWV system in new construction. Does the UPC limit the use of shielded hubless couplings, or can they be used just like a glued coupling (vertically and horizontally)?

I have places where it looks like the easiest (possibly only) solution to get the ABS glued together is to leave out a section and then put it in after everything else is glued up, with a hubless coupling on either side.

Are there any tips to help ensure the hubless couplings don't leak (for example, is there a preferred lubricant/sealant to use to help them settle in and seal well as they are tightened)?

Also, I find two styles of shielded hubless couplings. One has a smooth shield, and the other has a corrugated shield. Is one style better than the other (the corrugated shields seem to cost less, and look like they may have thinner metal)?

Thanks

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    No sealant is required. If you really want to do it right, you'd use a torque screwdriver to tighten them to specs. Don't know whether one version is better than the other.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mike58

Mike58 New Member

Thanks jadnashua.