HTP Phoenix Light operation

Users who are viewing this thread

jtech1

Reaction score
I just finished installation of an 80 gal Phoenix Light. I am pretty impressed with the unit, but I have some questions that don't appear to be covered at all in the manual, and I am hoping some of you can help shed some light on them for me.

1) No info in manual about what the "Warning icon" means. I assume it is always on when the temp is set above a certain level to warn about scalding, but I don't see info in manual.
2) DHW mode icon: Is always on and no info in manual about it... what is it?
3) When it kicks in, the fan seems to make a lot of noise during acceleration... when it gets to speed it is pretty quiet. Is this normal?
4) In test mode the flame icon show 3 levels (actually I get low and high but no mid as I ramp fan up and down... not sure why), but during normal operation it seems to always be full on. Does it not show when unit is modulated lower during normal operation? And does it always start in high and ramp down as it gets closer to temp?
5) The default difference in temp for unit to kick on is 8 deg. This seems like a lot... so the tank can get to 8 degrees below set-point before unit kicks in... if I drop this to 4 or 5, will it kick on at low modulation more frequently to keep water at temp? Or will it always start at HIGH and drop down? ie. trying to understand if the modulating level is tied to temp difference or not... trying to get a general understanding of the algorithm it uses.
6) Seems like the only drawback to ECO mode is slightly longer recovery time? Do all 3 modulation levels get reduced by 80% or just high level?
7) There is a t5 menu setting for maximum power percentage. It says this defaults to 80%. So does this mean when not in ECO mode the unit is running at 80% of 76K BTU? And in ECO mode it is at 60% or 64% or something like that? How do these two settings relate?

Any info those of you who have installed one can provide me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jtech1

Reaction score
I will post answer to some of these I have gotten for everyone to see...

1. The Warning icon appears when the tank temp or setpoint is >= 125 degrees and is just a scalding warning. Not a unit warning. I found this through testing... nothing at all in the manual. HTC confirmed it is scald warning but gave no info on temp or how it works.
2. Since this unit can be used for heating and DHW, this must indicate it's use... but I see no settings that controls this indicator... and can't get a clear answer from HTP as to whether a certain temp level triggers this... since most heating uses would have temps well above DHW only use. So no idea what makes this icon appear/flash.
3. I attached a sound file of this operation noise... HTP seems to think a combustion analysis and tuning will correct the sound that happens after ignition, between 30 and 43 second mark in attached sound file. All else seems normal. I'd appreciate feedback on whether you all agree, or think there is some other issue with this unit. When I enable ECO mode, which keeps the unit from going to highest output, this sound does not occur... so it seems reasonable that it could be related to high flame gas/air/valve settings.
4. Flame icon is always on full during normal operations. No way to see power level unless you go into Installer screens and check.
5. The 8 degree default temp diff is at the temp sensor which is in middle of the tank. So this translates to about a 5 degree variation in output water temp. Which seems reasonable to leave as default.
6&7. This is still confusing, but I think I have some idea now. The MAX POWER installer setting does cap the HIGH FIRE level. It defaults to 80%, so out of the box, this unit will only ever get to about 60K BTU level. It always fires up at constant level, and when NOT in ECO mode, it will ramp up to MAX POWER. When IN ECO mode, it will stay at a lower level and never use MAX POWER. As for what criteria it uses to change modulation during operation, I have no idea and can't seem to get a straight answer on that. Temp diff, usage, etc... no idea.
8. No Fernco or even PVC unions allowed since not specified in manual, unless local inspector overrides... and mine go by manufacturer. So, I am not clear on how you gain access to vents for troubleshooting or cleaning down the road... cutting at the unit is not an option since you would have to replace the unit stubs to use them again... cutting along the vent pipe is a pain to do just to get access... should be a better option. Many tankless direct vent units have Fernco connection points... even some other HTP products. I suspect may be liability reasons... if Fernco was allowed and failed or slipped off, building would fill with combustion gasses and homeowner may not know until too late and could point finger at spec and manufacturer. If glue joint leaks/fails, it is on the installer.

Still would appreciate any experienced HTP installers/owners feedback...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks