HP10-80H45DV hybrid water heater install with return line and recirc pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dister

Reaction score
hi could use some help. my old wh died and I was able to get a 80 gallon hybrid HP10-80H45DV. My previous unit was a gas and the house has a return line with check valve and that connects to a recirc pump at the bottom of the drain.

to get the system going I connected all items as my previous tank only to find out that the hybrid mode does not play well with recirc. my options at this point are to return the tank or alternatively before I do so thought I would ask if the return could connect back to the inlet and whether that would allow the hybrid mode to functions.

the new system is an 80 gallon hybrid from AO smith.

Dister

Reaction score
The problem for me is the recirc water system is giving cold or warm water only.

Rather than hot like it used to with the gas.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem for me is the recirc water system is giving cold or warm water only.

Rather than hot like it used to with the gas.
Make a diagram of the exact setup.

It should go. Cold water into heater, hot water out, then to fixtures, after the last fixture, then pump toward the water heater, then check valve, then connects back to the bottom of the water heater.

The heat pump should just be making hot water. If it's not keeping up on heat pump mode it should automatically kick in to electric resistance mode. Once the temp levels back off it should keep everything hot in heat pump mode.

If your getting cool water there could be an issue with your check valve.

Dister

Reaction score
Before I dive in, thank you for the guidance and advice.
Diagram of the setup. Interesting you bring up the check valve, is there a way to check, no pun intended, I do not hear anything from the re-circ pump.

I have been checking the heater all day it seems to work really hard to get to 119F and runs all day, temp set to 120F. Reviewing the internal tank temp and stats, in hybrid mode.
The upper tank on avg is :114F
Lower tank on avg is: 119F
Water temp out of compressor is: 143F

side note reading the tech manual for the heater. they suggest pipes to be insulated. the home has the pipes insulated.

I did have to reinstall the expansion tank. Previously it was not matched to 50 psi.

Attachments

• IMG_3873.png
    IMG_3873.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 107

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The temperatures your reporting should in no way feel cold. I don't think the heater is your problem. Although yes

If your arrow is correct the check valve should be on the other side of the pump.

To check thr check valve I think most people would change it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks