How's my plumber doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Augusta

Reaction score
The wood block above the valve holds it in place relative to the surround.

Terry, what's your opinion on the sharkbites in this setup? Why not sweat the whole thing? Shortcut? And does this look like 2 men, 3 hours of work?

It may be the pics, but the spout/valve looks to be shifted compare to the center of the tub. No big deal if it doesn't bother you.

That's because that wood block they picked up off the ground, likely some scrap I had there, was not square. If you look at the picture where there's a close up, you can see that piece of wood looks like a door stop...so the tub spout doesn't come straight out. It's at an angle when you are looking at it from the front. Either that or it's simply just bent. Work of a Master Plumber?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would have soldered, but that's just me.
The Sharkbite is a legal fitting though.
Please don't ask me to bid this job from Seattle. From here I don't much care what the charges were, it would be second guessing on my part.
It does look much better then the first attempt, and they did block the heck out of it.
I don't think that valve is going anywhere soon.
I will try to wrap my head around the search tips too. At some point, I need to update the php, and the forum software and get it running solidly.

Augusta

Reaction score
Before we started this "finish up" with Crew #5, I explained to him that I did not want PVC, CPVC, and I wanted it all sweated with copper. I then gave him the URL to this site so he could see what I've been through (I think plumbers in Augusta are oblivious to their quality of work...each thinks he's top notch). He did come here and read through. Today, when I asked him why they chose to use Sharkbite, he said it was because they were working in a tight spot. Uhhhhh....I removed THE ENTIRE WALL so they'd have all the room they needed to work with. I don't get it. Asked him to replace the sharkbite with all sweated fittings, and to straighten the tub spout and we should be good.

This is a tight spot? (They put that 2X4 in themselves)
1b.JPG

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
They were probably trying to avoid melting your surround with their torch. Personally, I use a heat shield blanket for tight spaces to avoid burning wood, melting plastic, etc. They work great.

038753314006lg.jpg

The Sharkbites are fine and things do look a lot better than when this started. I would have sweated those joints, but no big deal.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Are all you master plumbers really allowing galvanized metal to contact copper pipe?

http://www.finishing.com/491/53.shtml

here is one of thousands of links.

I am pretty sure you guys will say you have seen miles of such hangers without issues, but add condensation and unpredictable electrical potential, sure seems like a barrier first or plastic strap is the right way to go.

Last edited:

Augusta

Reaction score
Are all you master plumbers really allowing galvanized metal to contact copper pipe?

http://www.finishing.com/491/53.shtml

here is one of thousands of links.

At least Crew #5 took your advice and used their "wrapper". :) And if you think that's crazy, I think I may start a thread here titled, "Crazy things that passed inspection." Since standards are so low in Augusta, you'd be shocked at what's out there.

wrapper.JPG

Today, the Master Plumber Crew #5 was very enthused to get it right..even offering to cut out the sharkbite's and replace with soldered copper fittings (although, as you say, sharkbites aren't technically wrong..but I did ask for all sweated fittings). Should be done today. Will check on it tonight.

And regarding the reflective heat blanket, I've got one of those. I ASSUME the Master Plumber has one, too, and should have simply used it between the copper pipe and the tub insert (there's at least an inch of space between if not more). I paid quite a bit of money for it about 7 years ago. Used it on my HVAC guy's advice when I attempted to solder some copper just outside of a wall after cutting it away from a hot water heater. It was my first attempt, and was the worst attempt at a solder job I've ever seen. Ended up calling my HVAC guy out to fix it. Will need to practice that one on some spare copper pipe. I've learned enough on this plumbing job to be able to do tub/shower replacements myself once I learn to solder. Lord knows I don't want to deal with Master Plumbers in Augusta on a regular basis. It's enough drama to drive you to drinking.

Last edited:

Augusta

Reaction score
Rip

Well, Crew #5 fixed all the issues that you guys pointed out, and I've learned quite a bit from you all. Rest in Peace "How's my plumber doing?" thread. I really do appreciate all the help. ...Until the next time I'm forced to call an Augusta Master Plumber. Time to seal these walls up.

Regards.

finalbath1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks