How would you remove the cartridge from this mixing valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

diwhat

Reaction score
I went to replace the cartridge on a 20+ year old single handle shower faucet and I am now faced with what you see in the picture after removing the handle and trim. Note: I had to cut the handle off since it was stuck on, so the end is about 1/4 inch shorter than normal.

There is no 'pin' to indicate it's a Moen. It seems the tools for cartridge removal are brand specific so I need to figure out the next step. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20160621_202448_165.jpg

diwhat

Reaction score
smooky: thanks again. very helpful.
The large hex wouldn't unscrew with a big pipe wrench and lots of force. I put some wd40 on it and am going to let it sit overnight.

diwhat

Reaction score
symmons covered all the inside parts under warranty (cartridge, seats and tools for replacing seats) at no cost. Great customer service. thanks all for the help here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks